🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Are not the Upwork categories like Web Co...
Page options
isthiak
Community Member

Are not the Upwork categories like Web Content and Article & Blog Writing redundant?

I did some research and found out that categories like Web Content / Article & Blog Writing are identical. What's the point of having them as separate categories? Isn't it confusing? Shouldn't Upwork merge them for a better user experience? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
isthiak
Community Member

Upwork has finally disbanded the category Web Content and included Content Writing under Article & Blog Writing. Thanks a bunch to the Upwork team for considering my suggestions and making the platform more organized and user-friendly.

I think it'd benefit both freelancers and Upwork alike. I think it simplifies the entire process and makes job hunt a little easier, too: https://url.upwork.com/_017KZ2dl1bBQuvjiE1JsADOkkUeCzLyFkC

Kudos!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Isthiak, 

I think some freelancers would argue that Web Content  and Article & Blog Writing are two different categories. When I was still working for a PR and marketing agency, our web content and article/blog writing services were billed differently. Web content (and I hope other freelancers will chime in), is the overall content of a website - the pictures, the texts in all sections, any videos you will add. Article/blog writing is part of the website's content, but not all web content is article/blogs. I hope that makes sense. 

~ Avery
Upwork
isthiak
Community Member

Hi Avery,

I understand your logic, but it doesn't reflect in the categories. I reviewed almost 10 pages, job for job, and all posts were same. Even if you look at the total number of jobs in both categories, you'll find the same number.

I think it is an inefficiency on the part of Upwork to not being able to distinguish which job goes where; so they took the easiest route, creating two categories for exact jobs.

As a long time user, I'd expect Upwork to review this sincerely. I regularly look up other freelancing websites as well; but nowhere I saw such a thing. Besides, I myself have been working as a web content writer / copywriter / blog writer for almost 8 years now. So, I know a thing or two, too. I hope it'd be fixed soon.

Thanks in advance!
lysis10
Community Member

Isthiak A wrote:
Hi Avery,

I understand your logic, but it doesn't reflect in the categories. I reviewed almost 10 pages, job for job, and all posts were same. Even if you look at the total number of jobs in both categories, you'll find the same number.

I think it is an inefficiency on the part of Upwork to not being able to distinguish which job goes where; so they took the easiest route, creating two categories for exact jobs.

As a long time user, I'd expect Upwork to review this sincerely. I regularly look up other freelancing websites as well; but nowhere I saw such a thing. Besides, I myself have been working as a web content writer / copywriter / blog writer for almost 8 years now. So, I know a thing or two, too. I hope it'd be fixed soon.

Thanks in advance!

I agree with Avery here. Clients don't know what to choose as a category but I've had to turn people away for web content, because in my mind web content is more marketing type stuff (landing pages for instance) but I'll do blog content. I prefer blog type content because it's more informational rather than marketing. I'm not a good marketing/sales writer.

isthiak
Community Member

Hi Jennifer,

I am exactly on the same page with you; I also prefer blog content over web content. Also, I don't necessarily possess all the skillsets to develop landing pages for websites. However, don't you see that both categories have the same jobs, and there is no difference between them except for the category name? Please just have a look and you'll understand. There's literally no difference! That's what I'm trying to point out.

Best, Isthiak

Hi Isthiak,

Thanks for clarifying the situation around jobs you see posted in those categories. It sounds like clients may need more guidance when deciding which category their job belongs to. We have a team that's working on improving that and I'll share your feedback with them. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Isthiak,

Thanks for clarifying the situation around jobs you see posted in those categories. It sounds like clients may need more guidance when deciding which category their job belongs to. We have a team that's working on improving that and I'll share your feedback with them. 

Hi Valeria, 

I don't think it's the clients who need improvement in the first place; look at the job category Web Content now. Apparently, Upwork understood what I was trying to say and made it vacant, until the next course of action is figured out. As I told before, there is no good in keeping two categories with exactly the same jobs. Also, it is easily understood that it's not the clients who posted their jobs in both categories simultaneously. Of course a few could do so, but not all the clients who post in Article & Blog Writing. Prior to this action, the number of jobs posted in both categories was the same; and more importantly they were the same jobs. It's illogical to believe that all (4500 or more) clients did so. At best, it's a glitch. 

I am happy to see that Upwork paid heed to my complaint and, probably, would make sure that the right job goes to the right category; instead of just pasting them all in two categories.

Regards, Isthiak

Isthiak A wrote:

I don't think it's the clients who need improvement in the first place; look at the job category Web Content now. Apparently, Upwork understood what I was trying to say and made it vacant, until the next course of action is figured out.

That's extremely unfortunate, given the large number of web content jobs that are definitely not article and blog writing, and the number of writers who create web content and would never look at a job posting that was tagged only as article and blog writing.

Tiffany S wrote:

That's extremely unfortunate, given the large number of web content jobs that are definitely not article and blog writing, and the number of writers who create web content and would never look at a job posting that was tagged only as article and blog writing.

Exactly that's what I'm trying to say. For the greater good, they need to make sure both categories work effectively and relevantly, not interchangeably.

lysis10
Community Member

Isthiak A wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

I I am exactly on the same page with you; I also prefer blog content over web content. Also, I don't necessarily possess all the skillsets to develop landing pages for websites. However, don't you see that both categories have the same jobs, and there is no difference between them except for the category name? Please just have a look and you'll understand. There's literally no difference! That's what I'm trying to point out.

Best, Isthiak

Like Valeria said, clients have no idea how to categorize these things. I think the best thing to do is use search terms. I messed around with search terms until I got stuff that was good for me.

isthiak
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Isthiak A wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

I I am exactly on the same page with you; I also prefer blog content over web content. Also, I don't necessarily possess all the skillsets to develop landing pages for websites. However, don't you see that both categories have the same jobs, and there is no difference between them except for the category name? Please just have a look and you'll understand. There's literally no difference! That's what I'm trying to point out.

Best, Isthiak

Like Valeria said, clients have no idea how to categorize these things. I think the best thing to do is use search terms. I messed around with search terms until I got stuff that was good for me.

Look at the job category Web Content now. Apparently, Upwork understood what I was trying to say and made it vacant, until the next course of action is figured out. As I told before, there is no good in keeping two categories with exactly the same jobs. Also, it is easily understood that it's not the clients who posted their jobs in both categories simultaneously. Of course a few could do so, but not all the clients who post in Article & Blog Writing. Prior to this action, the number of jobs posted in both categories was the same; and more importantly they were the same jobs. It's illogical to believe that all (4500 or more) clients did so. At best, it's a glitch. 

I am happy to see that Upwork paid heed to my complaint and, probably, will make sure that the right job goes to the right category; instead of just pasting them all in two categories.

researchediting
Community Member

We much more commonly hear the complaint that the job categories are not specialized enough.

Nowadays same jobs are posted in two different categories. By "same" I mean identical. There's no way to distinguish between two categories except for their name:

i) Article & Blog Writing  ii) Web Content 

From yesterday, I can see that the latter is empty. Perhaps they are trying to figure something out. Now that's a good sign Smiley Happy

isthiak
Community Member

Upwork has finally disbanded the category Web Content and included Content Writing under Article & Blog Writing. Thanks a bunch to the Upwork team for considering my suggestions and making the platform more organized and user-friendly.

I think it'd benefit both freelancers and Upwork alike. I think it simplifies the entire process and makes job hunt a little easier, too: https://url.upwork.com/_017KZ2dl1bBQuvjiE1JsADOkkUeCzLyFkC

Kudos!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths