Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the extras worth it?

lisawerk
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
1 of 4

Given all the hoopla surrounding recent changes, it's forced me to go back to my original thoughts on how I would prefer these platforms work for me. Namely, that I would like a place to connect with clients and process secure payment.

Everything else, including: proposal counts, list of competitors who bid on the same job, JSS, recommendations (both to me and to the client), fancy new designs, special badges, secret forum groups, message rooms, etc.....I can do without.

I would rather pay a nominal 'finder's fee' and then be left to my own devices. I'll communicate with clients off-platform, take full responsibility for recognizing scams and negotiating with clients and do business the same way I do everywhere else. I've only been freelancing for 6 months, so maybe veterans can answer this question for me.

Is there anything about an overly intrusive freelancer platform that benefits a freelancer? If every function worked all the time, was transparent, fair, and objective, I could see the purpose. But there are too many variables to control to get them right, so wouldn't it be better to just have a basic 'meeting place' and then ask TPTB to leave us to our own devices?

lakitel
Ace Contributor
Albert B Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
2 of 4

If you want to mostly be left to your own devices, then Upwork probably isn't the place for you, and most likely, not any other freelancing website either. You could try and find yourself a freelancing agent, or in other words, hire somebody for the lead generation, of which you would pay them a nominal fee, and then you deal with the rest.

Honestly, I don't have accounts on the other freelancing websites, so I can't tell you how non-intrusive they are, but from most account, they usually provide a service in exchange for the fee they charge you, and that includes some form of bureaucracy/red tape.

lisawerk
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
3 of 4

@Albert B wrote:

If you want to mostly be left to your own devices, then Upwork probably isn't the place for you, and most likely, not any other freelancing website either.

Upwork has worked fine for me so far, but as I've gotten more comfortable with freelancing, I've found that working directly with clients is a bit more straightforward than a site like this.

My main point is that Upwork charges what it does to offer a variety of features designed to 'help' freelancers connect more easily with clients. When those features either don't work (messaging, team app, etc.), or get in the way (JSS, feedback, negotiation), it seems like we'd be better off without them, rather than having them work in our favor only part of the time.

I was really just trying to see what veterans feel about the positives of allowing extra 'red tape' in their lives compared to the negatives. The main thing I do appreciate, other than the basic connections I make, is the payment protection. Is there a benefit to the rest? Maybe if Upwork eliminated the nonessential services it would be easier to manage.

lakitel
Ace Contributor
Albert B Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
4 of 4

@Lisa W wrote:

@Albert B wrote:

If you want to mostly be left to your own devices, then Upwork probably isn't the place for you, and most likely, not any other freelancing website either.

Upwork has worked fine for me so far, but as I've gotten more comfortable with freelancing, I've found that working directly with clients is a bit more straightforward than a site like this.

My main point is that Upwork charges what it does to offer a variety of features designed to 'help' freelancers connect more easily with clients. When those features either don't work (messaging, team app, etc.), or get in the way (JSS, feedback, negotiation), it seems like we'd be better off without them, rather than having them work in our favor only part of the time.

I was really just trying to see what veterans feel about the positives of allowing extra 'red tape' in their lives compared to the negatives. The main thing I do appreciate, other than the basic connections I make, is the payment protection. Is there a benefit to the rest? Maybe if Upwork eliminated the nonessential services it would be easier to manage.

Ah I see, that's my bad. I thought you were asking how to go about being a freelancer without having to deal with the services that companies like Upwork provide.

I happen to agree that a lot of these services aren't needed, and I'd be more than happy to see them go if there's a reciprocal decrease in commission. I can understand WHY Upwork is doing these things, but the implementation is horrible, and I don't think the people at Upwork have realized that implementing something doesn't mean it should stay, regardless of it's quality and how people like it.

Personally, if I was going to get some service in exchange for a fee, I would expect it to focus around (1) Increasing the connections I get with clients who fit my skills and (2) some from of benefit (Think health care, or something). Now, the second one doesn't work for freelancing, because that's the domain of a normal corporate job, so the only thing we have left with is 1, and Upwork is sorely failing at that.

So I'm not a veteran, but I do think that these points are negative, not just on the personal effect they have on us, but to the concept of freelancing as a whole. You can take that as you wish I guess Smiley Tongue

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS