🐈 Community
noirre

Are the rules different for high payers?

I recently flagged a job on UpWork I was invited to as inappropriate, because the client was looking to get 10 pages translated within 2 days (or less) for 50 dollars "completely free of grammatical errors". Now, people paying peanuts and having ridiculous expectations is nothing new, but here's the catch: he promised 'best possible review' for the job. This is, for sure, against the ToS. 

It seems that UpWork agreed, as I got an e-mail where I was thanked for flagging something that is against the ToS and for keeping the marketplace safe. But I am guessing that these e-mails are automated because lo and behold, the job is still there, untouched. I am starting to wonder if it is because this client has spent 50k on the platform.

Now, having spent 50k (mostly on $6 hourly contracts, it seems), you would think that the client knows that promising good feedback for soddy pay is against UpWork's policies and he really should know better, but will his long history on the platform mean that instead, he'll just get a slap on the wrist? 

There have been a lot of contractors on UpWork that have gotten their account suspended as a result of their client(s) having moral hiccups. The hammer of justice is like a piano dropped from 50th floor when it comes to contractors. But what about clients? How egregious of an error do they need to commit for there to be some real consequences for them? Because this all feels like UpWork treats contractors like naughty employees for hire, which is not the case. We are business owners, just like the clients are. UpWork is a place for two businesses to meet and strike a mutually beneficial partnership for services provided and services paid - not an online hiring platform for remote workers that you do not need to buy health insurance for. 

Or at least it shouldn't be. But maybe that's just how I feel. 

6 REPLIES 6
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hanna,

If it's confirmed that a job is in violation of Upwork ToS, it will be removed regardless of the client's total spendings. Could you please send me a PM with the link to the job and I'll follow up with the team about it?

~ Valeria
Upwork

It is possible for good clients to make mistakes.

It is also possible for Upwork's expectations to change and evolve over time, sometimes requiring both clients and freelancers to adapt.

I see nothing wrong with removing problematic job postings or requiring modifications to job postings while still allowing a client to utlize Upwork as long as the client conforms to to the site's expectations.

I think you are missing my point, Preston. We all know that freelancers on the platform have gotten their account suspended in situations where they did nothing wrong, and they have had to fight to get their account back by jumping through all sorts of hoops and loops and other types of holes that your average camel wouldn't be able to squeeze in. I find it aggravating that clients like this just get their post removed and maybe a stern e-mail, while contractors have to spend weeks pleading their case. Even if it has not happened to me, I am empathic enough to grind my teeth over it anyway.

iaabraham

@Hanna N wrote:

It seems that UpWork agreed, as I got an e-mail where I was thanked for flagging something that is against the ToS and for keeping the marketplace safe. But I am guessing that these e-mails are automated because lo and behold, the job is still there, untouched. I am starting to wonder if it is because this client has spent 50k on the platform.

To be fair, I recently flagged a job post that had absolute filth in its attachment, and when I received the email thanking me for flagging, the job post was no longer available. However it does sort of prove your point, because that job was posted by a new client with no hires / money spent.

Just now I flagged another post for asking for free work (if I remember correctly, the client has spent money on this site), and now the link to the job post says "Access Denied | This job is private. Only freelancers invited by client can view this job." Not sure what to make of that and whether that means any action was taken.

These are all very different offenses...

A client suggests she will provide a high feedback score...

A client asking for free work...

A client using vulgar or inappropriate language in a job posting...

These are quite different, and would merit different actions regardless of the amount of money a client has spent.

Aside from that, should an experienced user be treated differently than a brand new Upwork user? Yes, of course.

Should a client be treated differently from a freelancer? Yes, obviously.

There are many differences to consider in each situation.

I believe Upwork genuinely tries to maintain a safe, productive platform that is profitable for themselves, clients AND freelancers. It is a daunting task to do so, considering the fact that their very success makes them such a huge target for mischief. It would be impossible to maintain fairness and quality with a one-size-fits-all approach to penalizing users for mistakes and policy violations. Upwork is not perfect, but the relative high quality of the platform is the reason we are all here instead of elsewhere.

re: "now the link to the job post says "Access Denied | This job is private. Only freelancers invited by client can view this job." Not sure what to make of that and whether that means any action was taken."

Yes, that means an action was taken.

It probably means Upwork made it so that nobody can access the job.

Learning Paths