🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Are there any real jobs on Upwork?
Page options
tiffanyfr
Community Member

Are there any real jobs on Upwork?

I've applied to a few jobs so far. Every single one of them has been a scam except for the one that was a ten minute job. I will apply and then I will get a message saying they want to interview online on another app. I'll do that and download the app. Then they start asking for bank info and all of that type of stuff. I just messed with one scammer before I revealed I knew they were lying. Then I gave them a lecture on how trashy it is to prey on people looking for work. I have obviously reported the postings to Upwork, but I'm really fed up before I've even started on here. I just want to know is it worth putting the effort into? Or is just a scammer's platform?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
datatraveler1
Community Member

Hi Tiffany,

I understand your frustration. I've received some scams too. The key is to never go off-platform. It took me two years of toiling on fixed-rate low-pay jobs to build a job history. It seems that once you pay your dues by going through these trials and manage to score some success on your record then the good clients will find you.

Don't give up. Keep at it and you will make it :heavy_check_mark:

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
datatraveler1
Community Member

Hi Tiffany,

I understand your frustration. I've received some scams too. The key is to never go off-platform. It took me two years of toiling on fixed-rate low-pay jobs to build a job history. It seems that once you pay your dues by going through these trials and manage to score some success on your record then the good clients will find you.

Don't give up. Keep at it and you will make it :heavy_check_mark:

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I did expect to have to start at the bottom and work my way into better jobs. I just never knew about work scams until now. I can't believe people out there do that, but I guess I should have known.. I just wanted to make sure there were some real people.

I'd like to add a little more. One time I almost feel for one of these scams because it really seemed real. I realized right before it was too late that it was a scam. I reported it to Upwork as a "please look into this account".

There won't be any follow-up for closure for me on this but the key is that we all have to report it when a bad actor is on here because it seems there are plenty. Some days later, I received a personal (not automated) message from someone on Upwork security who thanked me for taking the time to report.

The point is, reporting probably works as long we, the freelancer, help Upwork security by doing it.

Yeah. The last one had perfect English and everything. He even gave an excuse on why he needed to know which bank I used. If I hadn't just dealt with a similar scammer, I might have believed him too. I think I will just tell everyone that I'm not going to go onto apps for interviews. 

Until you have a signed contract with a client, you  are REQUIRED to correspond only through Upwork.  Sounds like you need to re-read the TOS before you get suspended...

Thanks. I did read them and read about that on the forum. Communication is allowed. However, accepting payments off of Upwork is not allowed. I guess it is possible someone is wrong, but I read the forums prior to using Upwork. 

Tiffany F wrote:

Thanks. I did read them and read about that on the forum. Communication is allowed. However, accepting payments off of Upwork is not allowed. I guess it is possible someone is wrong, but I read the forums prior to using Upwork. 

No, it is not allowed. It used to be but UW instituted a new rule 10-11 months ago that prohibits communicating with prospective clients anywhere but through UW until a contract is in place. 

PradeepH

Hi Tiffany,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. While we work hard to rid our workplace of all inappropriate jobs, we sometimes need to rely on your assistance to report anything suspicious.

Please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs and working safely through Upwork. You can also read about Scam Preventions and how to report suspicious user activityBy doing so, it will send a notification to the relevant team to monitor the account and take the appropriate measures they deem necessary.

We do appreciate your effort in keeping the integrity, safety, and quality of the Upwork Marketplace. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Upwork
c63ea194
Community Member

Tiffany F wrote:

...but I'm really fed up before I've even started on here. I just want to know is it worth putting the effort into? Or is just a scammer's platform?

NO, it's definitely not a scammer's platform. To be honest, I personally haven't met any scammer case despite having aplied, interviewed and worked on many projects so far. Maybe I was lucky, but this my personal experience.

All you need is patience and perseverance for the first period, until you get your first gigs and build some history and reputation and I am sure you will find your own path in the platform, as so many other people do every day. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members