🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Are they potential clients or collecting ...
Page options
atifzahid
Community Member

Are they potential clients or collecting CV's?

There are few So called Clients who are posting a new job every new day, and not even hiring against those jobs, Where as Freelancers apply on those jobs, 

What I mean to say is that Freelancers must feel secure while applying on any job. 
Don't you think, there should be a policy for the clients that the job they are posting is really legitimate/potential as the Freelancers will be using their purchased connects.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you

25 REPLIES 25
ahmedelshenawy
Community Member

i agree they may put small jobs that every one can do so they collect 50+ proposals and no interview or hiring 

we need law that make restrict the client with number of jobs with no hiring 

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

It's not advised to send your CV when applying.

Your Upwork profile suffices.

You can even read that somewhere on the Upwork interface when applying, something in these lines 'No need to send your CV; your profile is automatically forwarded to the client with your application".

CV = proposal
Everybody knows we shouldn't send CV but a proposal and portfolio on Upwork.

Common sense it is

Atif Z wrote:
CV = proposal
Everybody knows we shouldn't send CV but a proposal and portfolio on Upwork.

Common sense it is

Really? I didn't know you know.

I'm not a witch who reads minds, I only read the words you wrote.

Thanks!

florydev
Community Member

For what purpose would they be collection your CV?

Atif Z wrote:

There are few So called Clients who are posting a new job every new day, and not even hiring against those jobs, Where as Freelancers apply on those jobs, 

Not sure what you are saying, if you see some specific behavior that you feel is inappropriate then perhaps you should flag it.  

What I mean to say is that Freelancers must feel secure while applying on any job. 

Secure from what?  I don't understand.

Don't you think, there should be a policy for the clients that the job they are posting is really legitimate/potential as the Freelancers will be using their purchased connects.

How do you enforce this?  First you are assuming that they are illegitimate because they did not hire you or anyone else (but really you, let's be honest).  How would you enforce that it is a real job.  How do I know whatever you are about to say next won't force my next real client to go someplace else?

Clients don't hire for lots of reasons.  My suggestion is to stop caring.  Fire and forget.  I know that connects cost money and my suggestion is find a way to either earn more money per job to cover the costs of your connects or find someplace else to go.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Upwork community is a place of professionals and intellects. Respect them and get respected.

I love Upwork and that's the reason I raised a serious issue to get it highlighted by Upwork to help brainstorm and help create a better policy for the clients who post the jobs,

Let me put it this way, that the Client who is posting a job, Upwork intelligent systems should be able to calculate the percentage of how serious is this client in hiring against the posted job (based on previous statistics) and make this stat public to the applicants so that they could choose to apply

Respect is everything,
Thank you

Atif Z wrote:

**Edited for community guidelines** I asked questions about what you want Upwork to do, I want to understand why you care so that I can understand why I should care (because right now I don't care, but maybe I should).  I had really never worried about someone collecting my information through a proposal  as it is all available on my profile which is public. 

Let me put it this way, that the Client who is posting a job, Upwork intelligent systems should be able to calculate the percentage of how serious is this client in hiring against the posted job (based on previous statistics) and make this stat public to the applicants so that they could choose to apply

Respect is everything,
Thank you

I think you did some serious magic hand waving there.  Behind your wave would be a signficant committment in man hours to develop a feature that would probably not be worth trusting.  I think you would be way better off using your own judgment.

I have other features I would like Upwork to do way before this but I wouldn't care if they did, but I would ignore it and likely the people who don't would lose out on good projects.

I was engaging with you to understand what you want and to explain why I think you should not worry about it because it is never going to happen. You can choose to do whatever you want.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All,

A few posts have been edited or removed from this thread for Community Guidelines

Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and avoid making personal attacks.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Atif Z wrote:

Upwork community is a place of professionals and intellects. Respect them and get respected.

I love Upwork and that's the reason I raised a serious issue to get it highlighted by Upwork to help brainstorm and help create a better policy for the clients who post the jobs,

Respect is everything,
Thank you

What are you talking about? The hiring rate exists already. 

Atif Z wrote:

That is already clearly displayed on every job post. No need to demand something that is already there so you can make an informed decision whether to apply or not.

hire rate.jpg

florydev
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Atif Z wrote:

That is already clearly displayed on every job post. No need to demand something that is already there so you can make an informed decision whether to apply or not.

I think what he wants is to have Upwork build an intelligent system to evalute job posts and determine how "real" they are.  Much of my secondary interaction with was redacted for the children's sake.

Redaction? Why would anybody do that?

Atif Z wrote:
Redaction? Why would anybody do that?

Why the moderators of course.  You said some things, I replied to them, they redacted most of what I replied to and also a spiffy comment I made that probably did deserve a whacking.  They left my original post alone despite the tone you were unhappy with.

Are you asking for limits on clients' job posts? If you suspect a job post is not real then don't apply. You can also flag it if there is a valid reason such as asking for free work, not having a clear deliverable, etc.

Don't expect Upwork to force clients to hire. If you go to a store you are not forced to buy something just because you stepped into. Right?

Two separate things demanding and a necessity, I understand there is a hire rate, and you have shown a nice example of a client who's hire rate is almost 70%.

What about a client who's hire rate goes below for example 5% and they have complete access to keep posting ??

Would that not be nice that clients have to pay to Upwork for example $1 to post a job as a Token money, and when they hire that money would be returned to them? And if they don't hire, $1 goes to Upwork.

I am not agressive or something, don't take me wrong, I see everyone going against me, may be I can't explain it as a whole clearly,

Atif Z wrote:

Would that not be nice that clients have to pay to Upwork for example $1 to post a job as a Token money, and when they hire that money would be returned to them? And if they don't hire, $1 goes to Upwork.

No, that would be commercial suicide.

It would be bad for all freelancers and really bad for Upwork.

Absolutely insane idea.

How would that be bad for freelancers?
Upwork is already a better place, but it would be way more better I believe if they define such a policy for the clients,
(may be not for those clients with hire rate above a threshold let's say 30%)

It was already said in countless threads before that clients would not pay, not even $0.10, if they were forced to do that in order to publish an offer. Upwork is already scaring clients away asking them to pay if they want reports they used to have or if they want to send more than 3 invitations. Why would it be detrimental for freelancers? Because there will be less jobs available, just like there are less invitations now. The moment you ask for money is the moment they go away to some other place where they are not being charged.

Atif Z wrote:
Two separate things demanding and a necessity, I understand there is a hire rate, and you have shown a nice example of a client who's hire rate is almost 70%.

What about a client who's hire rate goes below for example 5% and they have complete access to keep posting ??

I am not agressive or something, don't take me wrong, I see everyone going against me, may be I can't explain it as a whole clearly,

What does it matter if we are against you?  Maybe you are destined to fight the good fight and win.

But as I said originally, anything you purpose, to me, has to be seen in the light of will it possibly prevent one good client from getting through.  I don't care about bad clients or fake clients, I only care about good ones.  They are a rare catch indeed but they are out there.  The good thing is too, my good client might not be yours.

I am against forcing clients to be verified and I would definitely be against this.  Most of my Upwork clients have been unverified (in fact my newest one, which I have already billed some time this week I never even checked if he was...until just now...whoops).  I am fine with figuring out who a bad client is on my own.

You can continue to hope for features like that or you can figure your own way.

Ofcourse I'm in favour of new/unverified clients, what I am talking about should not be applied on newer clients, whereas they should be offered some incentives (may be reduce Upwork fee for them or something to engage them)

(What does it matter if we are against you? Maybe you are destined to fight the good fight and win)

In response to this, it really doesn't matter if they go against me, because in the back of my mind, I know I am not talking all this for myself but in favour of all freelancers,
No matter they think crazy about me, but I'm confident to say that Upwork is going to implement something like this in the near future ,, Upwork is competing to win the race.

Atif Z wrote:
(What does it matter if we are against you? Maybe you are destined to fight the good fight and win)

In response to this, it really doesn't matter if they go against me, because in the back of my mind, I know I am not talking all this for myself but in favour of all freelancers,
No matter they think crazy about me, but I'm confident to say that Upwork is going to implement something like this in the near future ,, Upwork is competing to win the race.

You might be right, it could be your destiny.

Atif Z wrote:

Hi Atif.

You have explained yourself very well.

My only advice is this, don't waste your time on such 'clients'. Upwork already provides you with  information to make an informed choice as to whether to apply for a project or not, why even worry yourself about such jobs when it is already clear that they rarely hire people?

Just find jobs (and clients) that are worth are your time and effort applying for.

You sound like a gentle man, Thanks Richard.
andradesign1
Community Member

Regards, friend. I also asked that same question. It is unfair that one submits a proposal and the client never hires anyone and leaves the proposal open. I believe that UpWork should return the connections and admonish the client.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths