🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Are we nurturing these fraudsters with every ...
Page options
rafiq_jsr
Community Member

Are we nurturing these fraudsters with every connect’s bought with our hard-earned money?

Thank you in advance for reading my post and for any helpful comments you may have.

It is clear we are (all freelancers) working tirelessly here, and every day we get cheated in one or more ways. I am willing to share an unfortunate experience related to thousands of jobs posted daily by fraudsters, and the freelance profile views being not more than 0, 2, or 3 after consuming 300 connects in 20 days, my curiosity really kicks in-

Example-

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

- what are the identities of these fraudsters?

- how do they get permission to post single or several fake jobs?

- who are the ultimate beneficiaries?

- How reasonable are the connect usage and distribution policies?

- are we nurturing these fraudsters with every connect’s bought with our hard-earned money?

Hence, I thought Upwork acts as a patient audience, but if not, when will we get rid of all these fraudulent activities?

4 REPLIES 4
the-right-writer
Community Member

Your job posts will be removed because they are against community guidelines. Isn't it ironic, though? They will be removed here, but not in the job feed.

The identities remain unknown because there is no verification of clients.

No permission is required. Use a fake name and a stolen credit card, and all is good until the bank finds out.

The beneficiaries are the scammer thieves.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your fourth question.

The fraudsters are nurtured by the freelancers who are willing to break the rules and work with clients outside of Upwork without an Upwork contract.

We get rid of the fraudulent activities when the freelancers stop willingly violating the rules and stop believing they are somehow going to earn a huge amount of money for little work or buying crypto, etc.

Thank you for your comment here. 

I'm sorry, those are not my job posts! The posts mentioned are from elsewhere, and every job is the same. I would like to say that there needs to have some sort of accountability for those who post these types of posts. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I'm not sure what you mean about "nurturing" fraudsters with your connects. Fraudsters don't care about your connects, their goal is to make money from freelancers who break the rules. If a job is taken down for being against the ToS, you get your connects back anyway.

In the past, I wrote the above article in hopes that Upwork would take the necessary actions to identify and ban all dishonest clients on this platform. But unexpectedly, the presence of this kind of person on this platform is constantly increasing.

Today, I found a job post and I was surprised that the same job was posted sixteen times by the same client and asked for free samples, even with fewer interviews and without hiring any freelancers.

Hence, I think a clear guideline is required for all new and existing clients on posting jobs and should have some restrictions on repeating. Every freelancer knows a bid demands at least two connects for a job, so banning all fraudulent buyers will help freelancers to make the best use of every connects purchased with their hard-earned money.

I Hope Upwork will investigate and take necessary action against the above matter to make the platform secure and fruitful for all clients and freelancers!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members