cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you allowed to have notes, documentation reference, and other material while giving odesk tests?

Ahmed A Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
1 of 10

Hey guys,

When it comes to professional life, I am quite picky and make sure that I do things the 'right' way. Which brings me to my question.

While going through the terms of odesk tests (available here), it basically said that I can't look for test quesiton/answers online, can't look at other peples notes, screens, etc and can't look for question/answers of the test online.

So does that mean that, for example, while giving a PHP test, it's ok for me to have some general notes as reference? Maybe even a documentation of PHP functions open? Since I couldn't find anything that prohibits me for having these things. On the contrary it says that I can't look at other peoples notes which means I can have my own list of notes/references which I can refer to if need be?

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 10

(hate when you post, get an error message, post again, it says...success....and then there is a double posting)

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 10

No idea. Personally, I've never used notes, as I think doing so would defeat the purpose of the test. However, thinking on your question, nobody would actually know whether you did or not, would they?

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
4 of 10

Any tests I do on Upwork are done without any aids. If I didn't know an answer on a test and had to look online or refer to notes to answer it, then I either don't know what I'm doing in that subject area or I'm not ready to take that test. You have a limited amount of time for answers and I can't see that there's enough time to refer to notes or anything else to complete a test. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 10

Ahmed, have some self-respect.

The answer is NO.

I don't care what "you can get away with".

Don't cheat on the tests in any way. Don't use notes. Don't use anything.

That way your results will be genuine. YOU will know that your scores are 100% legitimate.

Ahmed A Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
6 of 10

Thanks for the response everyone.

Though it seems that I wasn't able to explain myself properly which is why the discussion went a bit sideways.

I wasn't asking if I can/should cheat, that's just stupid. No one wanting to cheat would ask if he could/should cheat Smiley Tongue.

I simply meant to ask whether odesk tests were 'open book' tests. 

Anyhow the general response seem's to be that odesk tests are not open book, and the odesk support team's response indicated the same.

But thanks everyone Smiley Happy.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 10

Moving the discussion away from the context of Upwork's tests, I note that on the job there's often reason to look things up. Though the various editing and reference styles used in academic and professional publishing and peer review have much in common, their differences tend to be as arbitrary as language itself (particularly English). I don't charge by the hour, and I'm not serving anyone's interests by memorizing half a dozen style books.

I take part in several health-related online discussion groups. One statement I make from time to time (when germane) is how reassuring it is to see a doctor look something up before making a recommendation that affects my health. Agreement from other patients always follows.

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 10

Amen, Douglas.

I had a C++ professor say that making students tests and write code from memory is stupid, because no coder writes everything without referencing books (I'm aging myself cuz now it's Internets lol).

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 10

Not all tests are about coding.

It makes sense to handle all tests the same way. You do not need to take coding-based tests. There are other ways to show your proficiency, including portfolio items, certifications, etc.

But when you take a test, take it without notes as expected, so that you can compare your results to mine.

And remember, the tests are timed, so they're really designed to be tests that you take from memory.

OF COURSE people use reference works and look things up when working. But a legitimate expert really will have a lot of things memorized.

I doubt I am alone as a PHP programmer when I say I look things up occasionally, but mostly I type code without looking anything up, using commands that I know from memory.

And I rarely need to look things up when writing SQL.

But when I'm working with JavaScript, I need to look things up quite a bit.

Doesn't it make sense that I would do better in SQL or PHP tests (based on information I have memorized due to frequent use)... better than people who think they could muddle through with these languages, but are not such frequent users?

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
10 of 10

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

One statement I make from time to time (when germane) is how reassuring it is to see a doctor look something up before making a recommendation that affects my health. Agreement from other patients always follows.

Best,

Michael

As long as the reference check is not done in my presence, and as long as the reference material is not Google.

There is a thin irreparable line (in medicine) between reference refreshers and incompetence, especially with the kids (doctors) these days. I expect research and reference to prior cases to be done, in order to help my condition; just not in my presence.

It is disconcerting and lowers my faith in said provider.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS