🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Are your connects really going to get returne...
Page options
mystudiomke
Community Member

Are your connects really going to get returned?

As we are starting to see the roll out of the new connect system, I am seeing comments on here and the social platforms regarding getting connects returned. I was doing some research for my podcast and noticed that out my own active proposals there are job posts that should have been closed but still remain open. From my active proposal, almost half of them already hired yet remain open. Below are 3 different types of examples.

Example 1. Jobs that have already hired a freelancer yet the job remains opens.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Example 2. Job that has already hired and finished with that job, yet still remains open for everyone else.

Example 3. Here is one I got hired on and still shows up under my active proposals. (I am aware for these your connects don't return)

In the past, I used to withdraw proposals that already hired someone or ones that were over a month ago (since very little chance one will get hired). Now I decided to keep them in the tiny bitty chance I will get those connect backs.

I also know Upwork is aware of this issue, but hasn't proposed an answer. The answer to me is fairly clear. Automatically remove jobs after 30 days (with the option to renew) and close jobs that already have been hired. Curious to know others thoughts on the return of your connects. Also how many of your active proposals do you see on yours that are still open even after they have hired.  

Lila
2 REPLIES 2
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your observations, Lila.

I had to remove screenshots as they included private information.

I'd also like to note that with the transition to paid Connects we aren't changing the way connects are refunded. Connects are only refunded when a job is canceled by the client without hiring anybody or canceled by Upwork due to ToS violation.

Often clients keep jobs open for various reasons even if they hired a freelancer on it before; they may want to hire more than one freelancer for the same job. Jobs that don't have any activity for over 30 days expire but connects used to send proposals to them aren't refunded.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan - I don't understand what private information was shown as I took the time to remove all names shown except for mine. Anyone can go under my public profile and find the same information. For those who are seeing this, you can find this same info on the other Upwork social platforms where information isn't deleted from their users.

Secondly, that is another great issue you noted: "Jobs that don't have any activity for over 30 days expire but connects used to send proposals to them aren't refunded."

Why wouldn't the connects be refunded if the job expired? That is essentially a canceled job. 

Yes, they are many reasons, but talking about this directly with my clients they note that Upwork doesn't close the job after they hire. So they have it figure it out how to close and most of the time don't bother to try to figure it out because it's not worth the time. Especially when it doesn't matter on their end. 

As an active freelancer, like many of us, these are things I see quite often and would like to bring attention to. It may be heard, it may be not. Bringing ideas so this transition is fair for everyone. Especially coming from those who use this platform every day.

Best,

Lila
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members