Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arguing with clients.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 17

I just got my 10th contract done after my last rating removal, so I'm feeling like my old self again. Feels good, mang.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
12 of 17

I haven’t had to use the TRP yet—saving it for a real killer. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"
wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 17

By "arguing with clients" do you mean telling them that certain things they want to do just won't work?

If so, I do it - but not in an argumentative way.  That's simply part of our job, IMO.  

If you've selectively chosen your clients and have developed a good working rapport (also part of our job as professionals) it shouldn't be difficult or argumentative to explain why something won't work and suggest a better route.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 17

@Wendy C wrote:

By "arguing with clients" do you mean telling them that certain things they want to do just won't work?

I don't mean that, and I don't think that's the kind of "argument" we are talking about here. I frequently have pretty passionate discussions about aspects of work.

What I was talking about was stuff like Ramon described ... when it gets to a personal level, name calling and such.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
15 of 17

@Wendy C wrote:

If you've selectively chosen your clients and have developed a good working rapport (also part of our job as professionals) it shouldn't be difficult or argumentative to explain why something won't work and suggest a better route.

True, it shouldn't. With stubborn clients, it can certainly time-consuming.

On the more general topic of getting personal, one longstanding, off-platform client who offered very rewarding work was forever fretting about rates and underestimating how much time his requirements would take. Those are my areas of expertise, not theirs. When after explaining once too often the basis for an estimate, I got back a one-sentence email—"X hours for Y pages?"—the reply only took two words: "[Name]. Stop." That was the end of that discussion, and the prelude to several more contracts.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
16 of 17

Petra, my comment was directed to the OP and the thread in general; def. not to you or any other individual.

fariha_r
Ace Contributor
Fariha Tarannum R Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
17 of 17

Hello Ramon, 

This concerns me as well. It seems that on UpWork, clients are the top preference. In my case, many of my clients had stopped responding to my request for more work even though they expressed that they were pleased with my work all this time. After waiting for a long time, I had ended those contracts as keeping a lot of active contracts are not preferred by most clients who are looking for long term contractors. They had not provided a feedback and maybe hadn't even returned on UpWork (at least from those accounts). Now, I am stuck with several ended contracts with no feedback even though these clients had messaged me initially for good work and some had even provided a bonus but had not ended the contract with a feedback.

In short, UpWork considers these contracts without feedback a failure and this compromises my job score. How am I supposed to get them to leave a feedback when even the Help Center agents are not receiving any reply from them either? I am just really disappointed and frustrated with this insecurity that my client can disappear and not reply anytime despite messaging constant praises for my work up to a point when they do not need me any longer. At the end of the day, UpWork blames and punishes me as a freelancer for not getting a feedback from a client. My job score decreased from 92% to 83% and frankly I don't know how much more it will decrease 😞

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS