🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: As a freelancer, should I be closing more...
Page options
matthewtsim
Community Member

As a freelancer, should I be closing more contracts myself? (October 2022)

Hi! I'm relatively new to Upwork and am trying to navigate the JSS.

My situation:

My JSS dropped from 100% to 95% after a client closed a contract. I think the drop is from that one contract because it's the only contract I've closed within the past month, and this is the first time that my JSS has dropped.

The public feedback was 5 stars, so my guess is that the private feedback wasn't the best. I was disappointed since I thought the contract went well.

Two things that surprised me:

1. The client himself was new to Upwork, and I actually walked him through the process of starting and ending our contract. Although I will never know for sure, my guess is that if I didn't educate my client and instead closed the contract myself, he wouldn't have left feedback, and my JSS would've been better off.

2. The contract was <2% of my 6-month earnings, but had quite the impact on my JSS.

Two questions:

1. My sense is that many clients would not leave feedback if they didn't close their contracts themselves. I also recently learned this:No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Success Score (JSS) 

Does this mean that going forward, if I'm not 100% confident that a client will leave 10/10 in private, then I should always close the contract myself? 

2. Do earnings have meaningful weight on JSS? Or are all jobs weighted the same?
2 REPLIES 2
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Matthew, 

I wouldn't be able to answer your first question. That is entirely up to you. But as you have found out, contracts without feedback will not affect your Job Success Score. Only contracts with public and/or private feedback will affect your score. 

For your second question, the weight of the contract, public and private feedback given on the contract, and many other factors go into your JSS calculation. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how JSS is calculated here.

~ Avery
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

1. My sense is that many clients would not leave feedback if they didn't close their contracts themselves. I also recently learned this:No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Success Score (JSS) 

Does this mean that going forward, if I'm not 100% confident that a client will leave 10/10 in private, then I should always close the contract myself? 

Yes, in principle. When you end a contract, it is less likely the client will leave feedback, but he still can if he wants to. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths