🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Ask client for VAT number
Page options
fanika
Community Member

Ask client for VAT number

Hi, 

I have an EU registered company and when I have clients from EU I need their VAT number for the accounting. Most often there is none on the upwork invoices. My question is: Can I ask my client to provide me there VAT number? Is it agains Upwork TOS and policy? Or is there any other way to find this information. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nope. Any contract type.

Before contract started you cannot share\request any contact info. VAT is ID, so it is contact info too. After contract started feel free to request all you need.

Alper right, good idea if you warn client that VAT will be needed. Maybe someone will reject to provide it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
spectralua
Community Member

Sure, you can ask. But only within contract running, not before.

Thank you. It was a fixed contract. Does it make any difference?

6bfcdaf8
Community Member

No it doesn't. Actually i slightly differ from Mykolas answer. Upwork prohibits us from asking contact details before the contract is started. That being said, it is a good idea to notify your potential client, even before the contract start, that you will be creating invoices and you will need the exact company details as well as a vat number when you work together. Because sometimes clients can use fake names and don't want to share their actual details for whatever reason. Then you are left alone with a money that you can't trace the source of.

Nope. Any contract type.

Before contract started you cannot share\request any contact info. VAT is ID, so it is contact info too. After contract started feel free to request all you need.

Alper right, good idea if you warn client that VAT will be needed. Maybe someone will reject to provide it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members