🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Asking client to change the review
Page options
khurram_sh44
Community Member

Asking client to change the review

Hello friends ! I have been in a very tricky situation with my client. The contract with the client was paused and I was advised by upwork not to work on this contract until the contract is paused. Client said he is in contact with upwork so I should not stop the work and meanwhile he will be reactivating the contract and I can add manual hours once contract is reactivated. I worked for 16 more hours but I realised nothing is going to work for him as I realised he has the payment issues with the upwork and he owes the money to upwork. I immediately stopped the work and advised him to please resolve the issue with your contract and reactivate it so work should be tracked and you can get the things on time. He said he will pay me $750 more for which I simply rejected as I knew he is just trying to scam me and get all his work done. Now, he asked me if I want to continue work or not for which I replied very politely as below 

"Hello ! I hope you're doing good. I understand your concern of project to be completed on time but for this there are certain factors we need to understand. In order to continue work it is requested to please resolve your payment issues with upwork so there should be no delay in the work as it's been around 14 days since the issue persisted. I hope you'll try to figure out upwork paused contract so work can be continued. If you think it's not possible at your end and you want to cancel the contract you have the right to perform this action. Thanks for the understanding. "

He said he will manipulate the review on this contract. He cancelled the contract and gave me 1 star rating. When contact was active I used to send him all the source code and video of the app I was working on daily basis. So when the contract was paused he had all the source code and video till that date and then contract paused and I stopped giving him updates and source code. Now he is asking me to send the complete source code of application and then he will change my review. I told him that doesn't belong to you because those hours weren't tracked and you tried to trick me to keep working on paused contract. 

Now, my question is if I ask client to change his review is it some sort of manipulation from my side or is it something like I'm voilating upwork TOS ? 

If Yes, then I should not ask. And If No, should I contact upwork support directly or should I ask client to change the feedback first?

Please guide

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I've never advised anyone to lie to a client before, but I'll make an exception for this one. Tell him that he needs to change his review first, then you'll send him the source code. Then after he changes the review, tell him that he needs to send you a bonus payment for any work that you've done so far, and THEN you'll send the source code. Be polite and don't argue with him, but stand firm and don't let him manipulate you any further. Report any threatening messages by clicking the three dots next to each message, and be sure to leave a bad review for him as well.

The next time that Upwork tells you a client's account is paused and you should stop working for them, STOP WORKING FOR THEM until it's resolved. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I've never advised anyone to lie to a client before, but I'll make an exception for this one. Tell him that he needs to change his review first, then you'll send him the source code. Then after he changes the review, tell him that he needs to send you a bonus payment for any work that you've done so far, and THEN you'll send the source code. Be polite and don't argue with him, but stand firm and don't let him manipulate you any further. Report any threatening messages by clicking the three dots next to each message, and be sure to leave a bad review for him as well.

The next time that Upwork tells you a client's account is paused and you should stop working for them, STOP WORKING FOR THEM until it's resolved. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Khurram S.,

If the client has not paid you in full for the complete project there is no reason for you to provide him with the remainder of your work. Block him on WhatsApp and any other communication channel, except Upwork. You want Upwork to be able to see his threats, falst claims, etc.

It s not manipulation to ask/allow a client to change their feedback for you. But keep in mind the client can only change public information, which has little effect on your Job Success Score. The client cannot change his private feedback, which is a major element of the calculation of your JSS.

If Upwork halted this project due to non-payment by the client, it would be VERY wrong for Upwork to allow this client to leave public or private feedback for you.

In the future, immediately stop work on a project as soon as Upwork tells you to. Don't keep going, no matter what the client tells you. And keep in mind that manual hours are never covered by Upwork's excellent hourly payment protection. A client who has had a "problem" with their payment method may also be likely to have further such problems, so even if you manually track your work time after the problem is solved you will not get paid if the client has the same problem again.

Good luck!

If the client was suspended for non-payment, their private feedback won't count towards the JSS.

That is what Upwork should do, Christine, as well as omit the client's public feedback from the freelancer's profile.

I don't know if that is what Upwork actually does in such cases as I have never had that happen.

I wouldn't have said it if I wasn't sure, because I don't believe in spreading misinformation in the forum. It happened to me personally - one of my clients was suspended, they said they had given me bad private feedback, I contacted Upwork customer support and they said that it wouldn't count. Then I checked my JSS the following week and indeed, there was no impact. This has also been confirmed in the forum many times.

You could have just started your message with, "I know from experience...." As you say, there is a lot of misininformation (and wishful thinking and loose assumptions) from many posters on this board, including those who have been around for a long time.

Will L wrote:

You could have just started your message with, "I know from experience...." As you say, there is a lot of misininformation (and wishful thinking and loose assumptions) from many posters on this board, including those who have been around for a long time.

Yes, there is. So is it safe to assume that if you don't start one of your posts with, "I know from experience", it means that you don't actually know what you're talking about?

You will notice I often start my posts with, "In my experience" or I provide a link to where I have gotten information. And I always reply when I see that someone has responded to one of my posts by asking where I got my information. I am certainly not offended when someone questions how I know what I know, or why I assume what I assume. (Unlike a certain other poster who claimed her "eidetic memory" should be enough to assure everyone she knew what she was talking about, when she demonstrably didn't know in some cases.)

Yes I understood. Thank you so much for your guidance and I agree with your statement of not allowing the client to add public feedback unless he doesn't pay back the dues he owes to upwork. I literally had 4 out of my last 5 contracts as "paused by upwork". Haha I don't know what's going on with my clients these days. But anyhow not all clients behave the same like the one I dealt just now.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You already have had upwork remove the feedback. I don't think the client can change feedback that has been deleted, or that it would even show up. 

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Khurram, the client has 14 days to change a Review from the close of the project. Thanks!

khurram_sh44
Community Member

hello guys ! I finally managed the guy to update his review. Thanks for your guidance.

That's great - and did he pay you?

No he didn't pay me any penny for those 16 hours.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths