🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Asking feedback from a client
Page options
muktadir_shakib
Community Member

Asking feedback from a client

Can I ask the client to give me feedback?

11 REPLIES 11
moonraker
Community Member

Of course you can, but whether or not they will is another matter.

Has the contract been closed yet?

petra_r
Community Member

Muktadir Ahamed S wrote:

Can I ask the client to give me feedback?

Personally I feel it is unprofessional to ask for feedback.

Furthermore, feedback can only be left on completed contracts. Once the work is done, encourage the clients to close the contract, then you get feedback automatically and don't even have to mention it.

65dab6ce
Community Member

I agree with Petra. It comes off a little tacky. 

What you can do is encourage the client to close the contract and that should take care of it, Just remember to be polite. I've hired freelancers who do not pay attention to how they communicate and therefore come off as rude and pushy.

All the best.

It is tacky and unprofessional to ask for feedback.

Ask clients to close contracts when there is no more work for you to do on the contract. The client MUST leave feedback when she closes a contract.

But question is how to request a feedback by a client?

Hi Muhammad Faisal,

You can always send a gentle reminder to a client requesting they leave honest feedback on your contract. Typically, freelancers wait for or encourage the client to end the contract so they are prompted to leave feedback while doing so. Great feedback is earned, not forced. Don't pressure clients to give you good feedback as this would be a violation of the Terms of Service.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Muhammad, if you're thinking about sending a message saying something like "please sir, I did everything for you with a special price so you give me 5 stars, pretty please with a cherry on top" (I'm slightly exaggerating here but imitating the style of a message I once got as a client), don't do that.

The client will either look down on you and deliberately give a bad review because of the perceived lack of professionalism or have a moment of soft heart and help you out because of pity.

In both cases, will never hire you again. You just killed a potential long-term business relationship.

As mentioned above by others, a kind reminder to close the contract is enough. One only.

Most clients forget to put a feedback because they say "it was skipped too fast, and didn't see it". So in this case, as a freelancer I'd like to request from Upwork to add a method like once you finish the contract, the client must add a feeback/ rating to continue to pay to the freelancer. What to do you think about it?

Dewmini W wrote:
. So in this case, as a freelancer I'd like to request from Upwork to add a method like once you finish the contract, the client must add a feeback/ rating to continue to pay to the freelancer. What to do you think about it?

This won't happen, and what would you want to be used to force the client to leave feedback? Suspend their account if they do not? 

And paying a freelancer does not mean the contract is over either? I have contracts I had dozens and dozens of payments under. And what happens if a client really does not want to leave feedback? The freelancer won't ever get paid?

I've never, once asked a client to leave feedback and never will. I simply encourage them to close the contract, then they will leave feedback 100% of the time. So instead of rushing to close contracts, let clients do so, that way you don't have to chase clients for feedback which is yucky and unprofessional anyway.

I agree with you. This system will be effective for us.
roberty1y
Community Member

The current system is best. If you're unsure that a client would leave good feedback, then close the contract yourself, which means they don't have to leave any (and probably won't). If you're sure they like your work and are totally satisfied, ask them to close the contract, so that they will have to leave feedback. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members