🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Asking for Feedback
Page options
abdsamupwork
Community Member

Asking for Feedback

Hi, can we ask clients to leave the best public and private feedback? specially in case of client is new to the Upwork platform? 

1: Asking the client to leave specific feedback eg "Please give me 5 stars or 10/10 when leaving feedback", is a violation correct?

2: Asking the client to leave the best feedback eg "I'd expect the best public and private feedback from you when closing the job", is fine? 

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "can we ask clients to leave the best public and private feedback?"

No.

That is very inappropriate.

It is unprofessional.

It is not what Upwork intends for you to do.

It would be considered feedback manipulation, which is a violation of Upwork ToS.

re: "Asking the client to leave specific feedback eg "Please give me 5 stars or 10/10 when leaving feedback", is a violation correct?"

Yes. It is a violation of Upwork ToS.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

re: "Asking the client to leave the best feedback eg 'I'd expect the best public and private feedback from you when closing the job', is fine?"

It is NOT fine.

It is inappropriate.

Do not do that.

Well Preston, Upwork customer support just told me that Point 2 is not a violation in any way. 

We can ask for the best feedback but cannot insist on specific feedback. 

How are you very sure that point 2 is also a violation? Can you show us where it is mentioned in Upwork TOS?

What you are suggesting is unprofessional, unnecessary and inappropriate.

It does not matter to me that it may not technically violate Upwork ToS.

As a client, I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork. A small percentage of them have behaved in the way that you are suggesting. I am not pleased by it.

I don't represent Upwork officially. But that is my opinion, as an Upwork freelancer and occasional client.

If you're providing excellent service, then the client will give you the feedback that you deserve. Asking for "the best feedback" could just as easily annoy a client and backfire on you; if I were your client, I would deduct points for your lack of professionalism. 

Anyway, it's unlikely that your client will respond by saying, "Oh, right, I was going to leave you mediocre feedback, but since you told me to leave good feedback, I've changed my mind now." Do you really think that would work?

petra_r
Community Member

If you did that to me I would report you to Upwork for feedback manipulation attempts and leave the kind of feedback anyone unprofessional enough to behave in such a manner deserves. I would leave feedback that warns other clients to never hire you. I would make sure the unprofessional behaviour was described in enough detail so other clients woukd understand that they must stay away.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths