🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Asking for free work - Upwork doing nothi...
Page options
filip_knezevic
Community Member

Asking for free work - Upwork doing nothing about it

Wonder what is Upwork doing with clients who blatantly ask for free work.

I've reported a client, they said Upwork's decision is confidential, and the client is still around, interviewing 18 people and asking for network evaluation and a plan of action before they hire anybody.

Part of my conversation with the client:

**Edited for community guidelines**

So it seems I did waste my time after all, as they are happily interviewing 18 people at the moment.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Filip,

Thank you for reporting this to us so that we can review and take appropriate actions. It looks like our team has already assisted you via ticket. I won't be able to share information about this, but please know that this has been processed by our team. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Wow. You know there is a polite way to decline doing free work?

Yeah, I know.

I don't use it.

Thanks. 🙂

Filip K wrote:

Yeah, I know.

I don't use it.

Thanks. 🙂

I noticed 😉

a_lipsey
Community Member

Filip K wrote:

Wonder what is Upwork doing with clients who blatantly ask for free work.

I've reported a client, they said Upwork's decision is confidential, and the client is still around, interviewing 18 people and asking for network evaluation and a plan of action before they hire anybody.

Part of my conversation with the client:

**Edited for community guidelines**

So it seems I did waste my time after all, as they are happily interviewing 18 people at the moment.

You know, I would just be careful flaunting that "reputation." I know you are TR, have earned a lot of money, BUT you never know who is really on the other end of the line, and we should all be aware that Upwork cares more about clients than freelancers. There's always another freelancer to step up to the plate after we leave (or get booted). 

Also, why waste so much energy on these guys? Just report, block, and move on. Not sure why all this confrontation is necessary or what it's worth. 

To your question: unless they mention the words free work, I think Upwork just slaps their wrist and moves on...

Well, I didn't break Upwork's ToS. I don't bite the hand feeding me.

But I enjoy spending energy on a client like this. 🙂

Why? 

Because I believe this world can be a better place.

In my book, if you ask for a design and a plan of action for the project, without hiring anybody, it is, in fact, asking for free work.

Or maybe, they need to say: ''Oh dear freelancer, would you do some free work for me, please?''

Filip K wrote:

Well, I didn't break Upwork's ToS. I don't bite the hand feeding me.

But I enjoy spending energy on client like this. 🙂

Why? 

Because I believe this world can be a better place.

In my book, if you ask for a design and a plan of action for the project, without hiring anybody, it is, in fact, asking for free work.

Or maybe, they need to say: ''Oh dear freelancer, would you do some free work for me, please?''

I agree with you, it is the equivalent of asking for free work. I'm just saying Upwork probably requires the client to be explicit before doing anything, and even if they are, they probably only slap their wrist for it. 

If you enjoy it, then have at it. I'm certain the world can be a better place, but I don't know that confronting possible scammers on Upwork is really changing them from what they are doing. But if it makes you feel like you did something useful, then go for it. 🙂 

I agree with you, it is the equivalent of asking for free work. I'm just saying Upwork probably requires the client to be explicit before doing anything, and even if they are, they probably only slap their wrist for it. 

I suppose so, as well. I wonder what 'evidence' they need in an example like this. I was thinking they will maybe warn the client that what they are doing is against ToS and, in fact, free work. That would, at least, provide a small degree of comfort. 🙂

Probably the only way to verify this is to have a client (that asked for free work and received a warning) who will share his experience here.

I somehow don't expect that to happen. 

If you enjoy it, then have at it. I'm certain the world can be a better place, but I don't know that confronting possible scammers on Upwork is really changing them from what they are doing. 

I agree, but we have to start with small things, right? 🙂

Hi Filip,

Thank you for reporting this to us so that we can review and take appropriate actions. It looks like our team has already assisted you via ticket. I won't be able to share information about this, but please know that this has been processed by our team. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I can bet that job will not see a hire.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths