Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for free work no longer a serious violation

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
1 of 28

Today, the Upwork team changed the list of reasons for which a freelancer may flag a job posting as inappropriate.

Importantly, they removed the option "Client is asking for free work".

Isn't that disgraceful? The Upwork team would like to reduce awareness among especially new freelancers that asking for free work is a serious violation. At least, not serious enough to be on the main list of reasons for which a job may be flagged.

And don't tell me flaggers can just click it's something else and enter the reason. Such an excuse won't fly.

Flag as inappropriate.png

Highlighted
Community Leader
Jordon B Member Since: Jun 16, 2015
2 of 28

Why has the option to flag jobs asking for free work gone away? 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
3 of 28

Jordon B wrote:

Why has the option to flag jobs asking for free work gone away? 

I imagine it's because they are no longer as interested in being notified of clients asking free work.  Crazy, right?  It sounds like a problem, but certainly not my problem.  My feed moves pretty quick, and it was enough that every now and then I took time out to notify them of requests for free work.   Forget it now.  I'm not taking extra time to fill out a form, while my feed goes by, so they can stick it in some "Other" bucket and maybe deal with it later.  Nope.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 28

Anna T wrote:

I imagine it's because they are no longer as interested in being notified of clients asking free work. 

Sounds more to me like they got tired of combing through huge numbers of "asking for free work" flags that were lies, because freelancers had arbitrarily decided that some payment level or other was "tantamount to asking for free work." We've seen many declare their intention to do just that in the forums, and it seems that once again the lowest element has broken things for the professionals.

Highlighted
Community Leader
5 of 28

Tiffany S wrote:

Anna T wrote:

I imagine it's because they are no longer as interested in being notified of clients asking free work. 

Sounds more to me like they got tired of combing through huge numbers of "asking for free work" flags that were lies, because freelancers had arbitrarily decided that some payment level or other was "tantamount to asking for free work." We've seen many declare their intention to do just that in the forums, and it seems that once again the lowest element has broken things for the professionals.

Could be.  But now instead of some useful information they'll be getting no information, at least from me anyway.  If you are correct, and it makes some sense, I just find it crazy that they continue to let the dead weight drag everyone else around.  I mean, most of this system is designed around the undesirables and to me it just seems counter-productive.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 28

Anna T wrote:

I just find it crazy that they continue to let the dead weight drag everyone else around.  I mean, most of this system is designed around the undesirables and to me it just seems counter-productive.

Yep, you ain't kiddin. It's frustrating. Most of the rules and crazy verification everything is because of the undesirables.

I don't hire much but I would probably never hire an auto accepted account that is only a few months old. I'd probably also never hire an account that is old and suddenly the freelancer came back. I'm sure both have some legit freelancers, but I'll let some other client figure out which ones are legit from the frauds.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 28

Anna T wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Anna T wrote:

Could be.  But now instead of some useful information they'll be getting no information, at least from me anyway.  If you are correct, and it makes some sense, I just find it crazy that they continue to let the dead weight drag everyone else around.  I mean, most of this system is designed around the undesirables and to me it just seems counter-productive.

I agree with this. I think a better answer would be to spam-route some user's flags (if they've established a pattern of flagging things that don't violate TOS just because they don't like them). Or, even send out a message after a few flags on things that don't violate TOS explaining what the system is for and letting the user know they'll lose the ability to flag if they continue to flag jobs that don't violate terms.

Highlighted
Community Leader
8 of 28

Exactly.  I'm pretty certain they can use whatever unique identifier is attached to us to flag incorrect reports of free work requests.  Three strikes and you're out. 

It just cracks me up that people scream low revenues for this company and here they go and shoot themselves in the foot again.   I mean, freelancers probably have the front row seat when it comes to free work requests and just like that it's gone due to "other" priorities.  Pretty self-defeating if you ask me.   It's things like this that upset people.  It's exhausting to hear over and over and over again about poor revenues when this company just can't seem to get out of it's own way.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 28

Abinadab A wrote:

Today, the Upwork team changed the list of reasons for which a freelancer may flag a job posting as inappropriate.

Importantly, they removed the option "Client is asking for free work".

Isn't that disgraceful? The Upwork team would like to reduce awareness among especially new freelancers that asking for free work is a serious violation. At least, not serious enough to be on the main list of reasons for which a job may be flagged.

And don't tell me flaggers can just click it's something else and enter the reason. Such an excuse won't fly.

Flag as inappropriate.png

It would be useful if a moderator could comment on this. Is a client allowed to ask for free work? This seems to be an added area of ambiguity (despite the Tos) as is academic cheating. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Mohammed G Member Since: Jan 13, 2016
10 of 28

Hope it is a glitch!

I've reported a job post this morning offering payment outside of Upwork. The post was taken down. The client reposted the same job and is now asking for freelancers to "be able to legally emit an invoice as an independent contractor".

Why would he do that if he intended to pay via Upwork?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS