cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for help properly with projects

Ruben I Member Since: Feb 25, 2018
1 of 5

Hi. Fortunately I am having success working with Upwork clients and real life clients. However, I have been having a lot of work recently.

I would like to ask.

Which is the proper way to ask for help to friends and colleagues to assist me on an Upwork Contract?

I ask because I am a freelancer and I don't consider becoming an agency as I have time right now.

For example. I have a contract but I am having a high work load and would like to have a friend to help me and share half of the income.

How can I handle this situation properly while using Upwork and still being inside the TOS?

Kind regards.

Marko R Member Since: Oct 26, 2018
2 of 5

Assuming your colleague is a fellow Upwork member, you can always share a link to their profile with your client, introduce them and have them split the workload into multiple contracts, one for yourself and another for your colleague. I don't think sharing information about another freelancer (assuming this is someone you know and trust) with your own client is in any way against the TOS.

If you are asking to take a contract under your own profile and then have the actual work be done by someone else outside of Upwork, this sounds really bad and I wouldn't risk it, simply take as much work as you can handle and turn down the rest if you don't have time.

This is just my opinion, the TOS are pretty clear on the matter.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 5

Ruben I wrote:

How can I handle this situation properly while using Upwork and still being inside the TOS?

On hourly contracts you can't.

On fixed price contracts you need the client's permission.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 5

Hi Ruben, 

This sounds like you would like to subcontract work to your friends and colleagues. I would like to clarify that you can only subscontract work on a fixed-price contract, and you should notify the client about it to comply with the Upwork Terms of Service.

You, as the freelancer on conractis 100% responsible for the product they deliver and has to comply with all laws when you use independent contractors or employees to work on his contracts.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
5 of 5

Ruben I wrote:

Hi. Fortunately I am having success working with Upwork clients and real life clients. However, I have been having a lot of work recently.

I would like to ask.

Which is the proper way to ask for help to friends and colleagues to assist me on an Upwork Contract?

I ask because I am a freelancer and I don't consider becoming an agency as I have time right now.

For example. I have a contract but I am having a high work load and would like to have a friend to help me and share half of the income.

Kind regards.

If you have more work than you can handle on upwork, raise your rates.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS