🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Asking for proof of nationality
Page options
563447cd
Community Member

Asking for proof of nationality

My client is asking for proof of my nationality because the video recording I submitted sounds like I am not a native speaker. But I am. I don't want to send sensitive information like my passport to clients. Do you have any suggestions or did it happen to you before?

8 REPLIES 8
d_samuel_udokpok
Community Member

Clients don't have the right to request sensitive information from you. Today it's proof of Nationality which is your Passport. Tomorrow, it's going to be SSN, Bank info, Address, etc. Be very mindful of such clients. Be mindful of scammers on the platform. A real client should be satisfied with the information on Upwork and won't ask you to provide sensitive information. If I were in your shoes, I won't provide such information

nyonomega0
Community Member

Barbara Stefanie K wrote:

I don't want to send sensitive information like my passport to clients.

You shouldn't. There's no need. Just ignore them.

Barbara Stefanie K wrote:

My client is asking for proof of my nationality because the video recording I submitted sounds like I am not a native speaker. But I am.

You must be. It is VERY unprofessional for your client to ask you for proof of your nationality. Don't listen to them.

Are they refusing to pay? Was it a fixed-priced contract or an hourly one?

It was a fixed price. 

Okay. Use the "submit work for payment" option (you'll find this in the contract form) to submit the work and wait for 14 days. After 14 days the payment will be released automatically.

petra_r
Community Member

Barbara Stefanie K wrote: Do you have any suggestions?

You could send a copy of your ID document with everything other than your picture and name blacked out. Nobody can do anything with that info.

NikolaS

Hi Barbara,

Other users do not need access to your personal information, payment account information, driver's license, passport, social security number or other tax ID, tax forms, etc.

We always recommend that users should be cautious when sharing any sensitive or personal information with anyone they do not know. Learn more about best practices for online safety here.

~ Nikola
Upwork
563447cd
Community Member

But they refuse to pay without me proving that I am a native speaker.

Hi Barbara,

I checked and it looks like the contract you are referring to is paused. If there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, your contracts with them will be paused and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

You can find more information on this page

Additionally, one of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members