🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Asking for weekly salary refund full 3 mo...
Page options
debjanimitra
Community Member

Asking for weekly salary refund full 3 months after paying

I was hired by a client for a weekly salary, for committing to 40 hours of work. I reported to work daily, for full 2 weeks. There was no screenshot of work diary, because the work was a salaried work not an hourly project. 

Now after 3 months, client decides he would like that money back please, I am apparently a fraud. Why, because, his software needed 2 logins, 1st being access codes, 2nd being user id password. Client provided me only user id, not the access codes. Since I could not access, he got in a local person, who sat beside him on his open computer, did the work. Hence the allegation, that I am a "fraud" for saying the software is not accessible in absence of access code. He is not tech savvy, and the only tech savvy person had quit without any handover. He is new to computers remote work everything. 

Bottomline, I got 2 messages in upwork message portal, to view details, and hit refund. I hit the cancel button. I have not got any emails from upwork per se.

Please flag an upwork moderator as it is the first time in 9 years I ever faced a refund, that too for 80 hours work, $ 500. I am stumped and need guidance.

Client has no "proof" that I did not did not work, since it was a weekly salary payment contract. I have not logged any extra hours, it was a pure weekly pay. 

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Debjani M wrote:

I was hired by a client for a weekly salary, for committing to 40 hours of work. I reported to work daily, for full 2 weeks.

So did you or did you not do 40 hours work for 2 weeks? You were hired to "transfer data into the main database" not to "report for work!"

If you didn't do any work, you should not have accepted the payment.

But the client is too late to actually do much about it other than a chargeback, in which case you'd lose the money anyway. Have you tried to negotiate with the client? It sounds like the client only just noticed that he was charged the salary originally. They were new and may have set up the salary part by accident, many clients do.

He paused the contract on Apr 8, thanking me for my 2 weeks work. I was hired for not just server work but excel, phone calls many things. He has mentioned in Apr 8 upwork messaging, that he has noted I received 2nd weeks pay too. So it is not possible he doesn't know till June.

Since I did work, I don't see why I should NOT have accepted payment.

Debjani M wrote:
He paused the contract on Apr 8, thanking me for my 2 weeks work. I was hired for not just server work but excel, phone calls many things. H

So you worked 80 hours on the contract?

Certainly. I was hired as a supervisor, I had 2 roles, 1 for data transfer to his database, which he himself paused, and the 2nd role to monitor his app, on my phone, which I did. Only after that he happily thanked me for 2 weeks work and ended contract.

Hi Debjani,

Could you please send me a PM (Click on my name) with the Contract ID or title? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I have attempted many times to pm you but the page freezes.

Hi Debjani,

Do you receive any error or just the page is frozen? I can also see that you have an open ticket for this and our team will assist you directly on your ticket. Feel free to add any details there, you can access your tickets on this Link. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

April 13 was the date the payment was released to me. Is it liable to be disputed now, ie june 13? Please advise I just need to know if it can be subjected to dispute. If it can't, I will just ignore his refund message.

The support rep is unable to address this exact date issue.

Debjani M wrote:
April 13 was the date the payment was released to me. Is it liable to be disputed now, ie june 13? Please advise I just need to know if it can be subjected to dispute. If it can't, I will just ignore his refund message.

Don't worry, the client left it too late. (the limit is 30 days.)

Have you asked the client why he is asking for the refund?

The only way he could get his money back would be by filing a chargeback through their bank.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Debjani,

Please come back to this message board and let us know how this is resolved. A demand for a refund three months after the client paid the salary does not sound like a legitimate request by the client.

Good luck.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Hi, Debjani. How was this problem resolved for you?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths