Did you mean: 

Asking my client for a rise after the first milestone

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Amelia H Member Since: Feb 7, 2018
1 of 5

Hi,

Please can someone give me some advice.

I've just started a new job for a client, but the work is taking far longer - and is much more difficult - than I anticipated. I feel that I should be being paid 3/4 times the agreed rate.

As I (stupidly) agreed to the price, I've submitted the work for the first milestone without saying anything. But how can I politely ask my client to increase my pay in further milestones if he wants me to continue working? Or should I grit my teeth, continue, and be grossly underpaid? 

I'm scared I'm going to get bad feedback and lose my TopRated badge if I ask for a rise, but I can't really afford to do three hours' work for 8 dollars when I thought it would take me about 30 minutes maximum. 

I'm annoyed at myself because I know this is my own fault, not my client's! I am willing to honour the job, but I just wanted some advice on whether or not I should ask for a rise. 

Thanks in advance for your help,

Amelia 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

@Amelia H wrote:

Hi,

Please can someone give me some advice.

I've just started a new job for a client, but the work is taking far longer - and is much more difficult - than I anticipated. I feel that I should be being paid 3/4 times the agreed rate.

As I (stupidly) agreed to the price, I've submitted the work for the first milestone without saying anything. But how can I politely ask my client to increase my pay in further milestones? Or should I grit my teeth, continue, and be grossly underpaid? 

I would consider the amount of pending work. Are we talking a few days or several weeks? Is there a chance that you become faster? Can you learn something you can use for future jobs.

You can try to talk to the client. Have a look at his history and the rates he paid in the past. Maybe you get a raise

I'm scared I'm going to get bad feedback and lose my TopRated badge, but I can't afford to do three hours' work for 8 dollars when I thought it would take me about 30 minutes maximum. 

Good news on the Top Rated side: You can use your perk and have a bad feedback removed.

I'm annoyed at myself because I know this is my own fault, not my client's!

A good thing you admit it yourself. There are many freelancers complaining that clients take advantage of them. If you can foresee the end of your contract, it might not make sense to disgruntle the client.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Amelia 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Amelia H Member Since: Feb 7, 2018
3 of 5

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your reply. It is a short-term project, so I've decided to honour it and learn from my mistake.

Best,

Amelia 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
4 of 5

I considered those incidences as paid training. It sounds far more positiv. Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
5 of 5

Never mind, once again replied to an old thread thanks to this poorly designed board software.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS