puthran75

Assigning jobs to team members.

I am an agency and used to assign the jobs to my team members whereby one job was logged in simultaneously by 2 of my team members. However, Upwork doesn't seem to have this option of assigning the jobs to team members so that a single hourly job can be logged in by 2 team members.  

If this is not going to change then I will get back to free membership as this would not serve my purpose. 

13 REPLIES 13
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Pushparaj,

I understand your concern. Current Upwork agency setup differs from Elance's and each freelancer working on a project has to be hired by the client on an individual contract under the agency. However, we intend to continue improving it to make it easier for teams to work on Upwork.

Thank you for your input.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks for the immediate reply. 

However, this is a curse for Agencies and if the same continues, I don't think anybody will become a paid agency and may divert to some other sites like freelancer.com etc. Please make it as it was in Elance as soon as possible.

I m facing the same problem. If i cant assgn the job, thn why will someone want to be my team member rather then that they can work indivitually.

@Jesmeen M wrote:

I m facing the same problem. If i cant assgn the job, thn why will someone want to be my team member rather then that they can work indivitually.

Indeed.

You must not allow anyone to work on a project unless that person was hired by the client through your agency.

You don't seem to have any agency freelancers, just another staffing manager under your agency.

All your agency freelancers must have their own profile, and you can make that exclusive so they can only work through your agency.

Then clients hire them through your agency and the payment goes to you.

Letting anyone other than the freelancer hired work on your client's project is a serious breach of the terms and a dispute reason.

It is just really complicated. Coming from Elance, I find Upwork so difficult to understand. Why delegate such complex action to a client? the majority of clients will not know how to do this, I have 3 clients already complaining about the process...they are totally lost.

Please try to improve it, if it worked right on Elance, why changing it now? The change from a platform to a new one is a big headache, at least try to make the systems alike before making the switch. For me, Upwork is becoming a headache more than a solution. If you don't fix this kind of things soon, I am going to move to another freelancing service.

@Jose Angel R wrote:

It is just really complicated. Coming from Elance, I find Upwork so difficult to understand. Why delegate such complex action to a client? the majority of clients will not know how to do this, I have 3 clients already complaining about the process...they are totally lost.

Please try to improve it, if it worked right on Elance, why changing it now? The change from a platform to a new one is a big headache, at least try to make the systems alike before making the switch. For me, Upwork is becoming a headache more than a solution. If you don't fix this kind of things soon, I am going to move to another freelancing service.

They are avoiding the bait and switch that was really common on Elance. It's great. 

Hi Valeria,

I hope you are doing good! The idea of allowing a client to decide which team member is going to work on his / her project is good. It makes the client feel trust and control at the same time. 

On the other hand, it'd be hard for an agency to work on a project that requires more than one team member.  Say we have got a project that requires both frontend and backend both. Is there a way to define two developers for the same project while proposing an hourly quotation to the client? I think the answer is "no". 

It'd be good if you can have a feature where an agency can include multiple developers on a project while proposing a solution and client also agrees on that. And that also on different rates. Rates are different according to the resource we provide. 

Something like:

Resource A                  @ $20/hr
Resource B                  @ $15/hr

Thanks, 

Kawal 

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kawal,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. In the scenario you proposed, note that you can discuss the price with the client and divide the cost for two parts of the same project between two contract, on which they would hire two agency contractors. Alternatively, you can ask the client for their permission to have another agency contractor involved in their project and have the the client create one contract for the entire job, hiring an agency member who will in fact work on the job in part or during all stages.

Untitled

I was thinking of creating a new thread, but a reply here is probably better for context...

I'm hesitant to move forward with my newly created agency as I have just reached Top Rated on my personal account and certainly wouldn't want to breach ToS. I've read countless community posts here about the topic, but I guess I need to see a confirmation that what I have read in some older posts still applies.

I have few developers who would like to help me with work on Upwork, they don't even have accounts yet. Now, since I take reputation quite seriously, I want to offer my clients the guarantee that if something goes wrong, I will take over the job and finish it myself, because that's how I think an Agency should behave.

Except that seems to be something that is not allowed.

@Vladimir G, in your post you state that :

"Alternatively, you can ask the client for their permission to have another agency contractor involved in their project and have the the client create one contract for the entire job, hiring an agency member who will in fact work on the job in part or during all stages."

Is this correct and valid?

In other words, if I'll be involved in every step of the development and at the end submit the work done, should I let clients hire me and get permissions from them to involve other people?

Hi Daniel,

Vladimir's response is still accurate. Any client working with your agency should be aware of who's working on their project, so we'd advise you to clearly communicate with the client about how the team is involved in the project.

~Nina

Agree.

Here are some more missing things on upwork for an agency
Elance was the best, very well tought but freela and freelancer have also this options 

- Create an easy way to add a guest to track hours on your behalf (you account) even if you are tracking the guests could track too, up to 5 with an normal account, not payed 😉 as i remember was like this on elance. 
- create an easy way for agency to add / remove anyone he thinks is best for the task > thats why this guy is called manager,
PS: if upwork is concerned and worried with clients, after manager add someone of his team to a task, just send a mail to the client, saying new member was added to work and if he disagree he anytime overcome the agency manager and stop one freelancer to work.
- another possibility could be lock a fix amount of hours for each team to track a week. 

Hope upwork one day gets as equal as elance one day was. 
Helping Upwork with our toghts to be the best of best. 
But is only on upwork hands to do what they whant. and i hope they whant to be the best of the bests 

Fred

Hi Fred,

Let me clarify that only the account owner was allowed to use the Elance Tracker as per Elance ToS, and can confirm Upwork has the same policy and won't be allowing the access you suggested.

Untitled

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agency_(sociology)

Agency (sociology)

In social science, agency is the capacity of individuals to act independently and to make their own free choices. By contrast, structure is those factors of influence (such as social class, religion, gender, ethnicity, ability, customs, etc.) that determine or limit an agent and his or her decisions.[1] The relative difference in influences from structure and agency is debated – it is unclear to what extent a person's actions are constrained by social systems.

Feelings of agency[edit]

Thinkers have only just begun to empirically explore the factors that cause a person to feel as though they are in control — particularly, in control of a physical action.

In Economics (contract theory):

Economic Agency is an internal instrumentality through which external influences operate mechanistically on action. Internal agency events are a reflection of the impact of external environments from which causal attributes are ignored, and the self-system is simply a repository and conduit for environmental forces.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agency_(philosophy) 

Agency (philosophy)
An employment agency is an organization which matches employers to employees. In all developed countries, there is a publicly funded employment agency and multiple private businesses which act as employment agencies. Public employment agencies[edit]

One of the oldest references to a public employment agency was in 1650, when Henry Robinson proposed an "Office of Addresses and Encounters" that would link employers to workers.[1] The British Parliament rejected the proposal, but he himself opened such a business, which was short-lived.

My question now 
Is upwork delivering and making us possible to act with our employes and adress jobs to them ?
My answers is : NO, not even close.
Our client need to send one contract for each one. 
Making it very hard to a manager to manage their work.

Client hould contract an agency to help them not for more insane things.
Today, after 3 weeks trying to put an freelancer on my angency to one task, with suppport team i put an simple example:

I contract i builder to build my house.
in upwork way, i would have to meet all his employers, make a new contract for each and everyone that will work there. From the guy that make cimment to the the guy that puts windows. And everyone in middle.

DOES IT SOUND INSANE FOR ? 
for me at least it does. 

I contract a builder company and i dont have time to meet all the guys that will build house. Neither i whant to.
Same thing can be adress here to an agency and our clients. 
Client is busy and many things to do after he adress a task to an agency. And he dont whant to meet 50 people on my compnay for sure, he does whant to invite them all. 
But i possibly whant to split all the work bettween them. That s why in first place I'm the manager.

Sorry upwork 
Kidly ask you to review what is an ageny. 
On top there is few links for you to study. WIKIPEDIA, search google if you are lost.

For instances on elance i could easly create guests to track hours on my behalf, and here are some tips for you to do what is right. 
- Create an easy way to add a guest to track hours on your behalf (you account) even if you are tracking the guests could track too, up to 5 with an normal account, not payed Smiley Wink as i remember was like this on elance.
- create an easy way for agency to add / remove anyone he thinks is best for the task > thats why this guy is called manager,
- another possibility could be lock a fix amount of hours for each team to track a week for manager and client. 
by team and by freelancer
- add roles for each one where manager can block or add. 

Hope you guys can follow, but i'm already losing too much money and my time with this simple things that are very hard to and work here on upwork.

Fred