a77106ee
Community Member

Assistance Needed

5 REPLIES 5
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Natalie,

Could you please share with us your concern so that we can assist you accordingly or have the correct support team assist you?

~ Bojan
Upwork
a77106ee
Community Member

Hello,

I was submitted a proposal for a data entry position and may have been approached for fraud.

**Edited for community guidelines**

During the interview I was asked series of questions via online application. How I'd like to be paid, what bank I have, what mobile provider I have etc. I was sent an offer letter and asked to submit my drivers license.

I was told that I was going to be emailed a check, and that I was to print it and deposit it in my checking account. I was then to make a purchase through their trusted vendor to buy my equipment for work. When instructed to print a check and deposit it via the LINE app, I was asked " you have a mobile banking app on your phone right?". I immediately called my bank, they said I should be fine. I deleted the LINE app and removed it from my desktop. I am not sure if they still have access or what they might have access to. Please verify if this company is real

petra_r
Community Member

It's the ancient fake check scam, and by communicating with that client outside Upwork you were in violation of the terms of service.

I hope you at least didn't deposit the fraudulent check into your account.

The company you mention exists, the people you spoke to have absolutely nothing to do with it.

One of the oldest and dumbest scams in the world.

What real company would send a check to a stranger on the web? That just makes no sense.

a77106ee
Community Member

I didn’t accept or deposit a check. Called my bank. I should be fine.
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for following up with this report, Natalie. 

The job post has been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members