🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Attaching a Resume
Page options
cmonkey0519
Community Member

Attaching a Resume

I have sent out quite a few proposals today and included a certification certificate that shows I am qualified for the work. I have indicated in the proposals that my resume is available upon request. I decided not to include it up front since it has my address and phone number on it and I don't want to share that with a potential client unless they show interest (read: reach out to me and don't seem like a scam).

Is this reasonable or am I overthinking this?
8 REPLIES 8
jcullinan
Community Member

@Chelsea M wrote:
I have sent out quite a few proposals today and included a certification certificate that shows I am qualified for the work. I have indicated in the proposals that my resume is available upon request. I decided not to include it up front since it has my address and phone number on it and I don't want to share that with a potential client unless they show interest (read: reach out to me and don't seem like a scam).

Is this reasonable or am I overthinking this?

All of the information available on your resume should be listed on your profile, except for contact information. The client automatically gets the link to your profile, which includes the portfolio section and work history. There's really no reason to offer them an additional resume document.

I'm a beginner and I want a money to help my family's and my self, is there anything that you can help me with?🥹

yitwail
Community Member

Chelsea, it might be ok to do, if the job is likely to continue for an extended period of time, like several months or longer, but even then, if it were me, I'd only make it available if the client requests it (in other words, I wouldn't volunteer it). But otherwise, do you want to make your contact info available for someone who hires you to do one job that won't take but a few hours to complete?

I have sent a client a resume in the past.  I work for attorneys and they like to see a piece of paper.  I scrub all personal information except for my name before I send it.

I only send out a resume when it's requested, and never include a "resume can be supplied on request" line in my proposal. As others have said, ALL of the info contained in your resume should be on your profile. On the rare occasion when a resume has been requested, I have a scrubbed version -- address, phone no., email removed as well as keywords that identify my location.

steinitz
Community Member

I would like to upload a resume.  It's extra work to maintain a resume and profiles on various upwork-like sites.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Steve, 

I'm sorry if you feel that this is extra work. Your Upwork profile serves as your 'online resume.' It looks like you have your profile all set already. If you wish to share your resume with potential clients, you should be able to do this by uploading your resume to your proposal. 

~ Avery
Upwork
shawnedward
Community Member

I agree!!!!

I just signed up, and I did not include my work experience either. I am waiting until I find a good gig, and then I will reach out and apply and then send my resume over.

Also, you should maybe take the address of your resume, and just put your city and state 😃

GOOD LUCK!

Shawn

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members