🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Attaching a file after already submitting a p...
Page options
mona972
Community Member

Attaching a file after already submitting a proposal?

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there was a way I could attach or msg my client with a sample of my work after I've already submitted the proposal. I clicked the 'Submit' button by mistake before I got a chance to attach it! 

-Shreesti O

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shreesti,

The only option is to withdraw you proposal and resubmit it together with the attached file.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shreesti,

The only option is to withdraw you proposal and resubmit it together with the attached file.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Thank you for the answer. I had the same situation...It's rediculous that we should have to do that...Upwork should allow us to submit additional files for follow up when the client wants "more" from us...Elance used to allow it...That's something Upwork should have taken into the new format...Extra work for no reason...

Hi Paco,

Once the client accepts your proposal and requests more information about it, you'll be able to message them and send files.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Withdrawing and then submitting again just to attach a file to the already submitted proposal is a waste of connects. Upwork needs to add an option to later attach a file to the already submitted proposal and send a message to the client so that they can see that a new attachment has been submitted for them to view. Sometimes we don't have an attachment ready when we want to place a bid but have it ready shortly after the bid was submitted. We need the option to add the attachments after the proposal was submitted!

@Patricia H wrote:

Withdrawing and then submitting again just to attach a file to the already submitted proposal is a waste of connects. Upwork needs to add an option to later attach a file to the already submitted proposal and send a message to the client so that they can see that a new attachment has been submitted for them to view. Sometimes we don't have an attachment ready when we want to place a bid but have it ready shortly after the bid was submitted. We need the option to add the attachments after the proposal was submitted!

The problem is that there are loads of freelancers who would abuse this feature and keep adding to their proposals in an effort to catch the client's attention, effectively spamming them and perhaps driving them away from the platform entirely.

The solution is to be very careful about submitting a proposal - triple check that it's complete before hitting that final button!

The solution to not permitting a client to be spammed by a freelancer who simply wnted to prepare an attachment for that client is to limit the access for after bid attachments to only one. That way the freelancer has the opportunity to place a bid before it is too late  to place it when the project listing gets closed. I personally had taken the time to prepare a sample for a client and then went to the project listing only to find that the project was closed. So frustrating because I had taken my time to create the sample for that client and they were never even going to see it plus I wasn't able to place that bid by the time I finished the sample. Please at least let us attach one file after a bid is already sent. That is not spamming. You can always allow the client to accept a later attachment or not.

I absolutely agree with you. But, what is outrageous, that even the cancellation of the proposal and the submission of a new proposal only leads to an error message and a double write-off of connects. It seems that Upwork is simply using this inconvenience to write-off additional connects from freelancers.

Hello Jess,

Very old question , but problem existing and repeating.

While fully makes semnse to spam clients , on the other hand, withdrawing and submitting again can equally be harmful to the freelancer in other ways and to the client loosing information that could make difference for thier decision.

I think with present day connects costs, some way of controlled proposal "amendment" should be possible .. one very simple way is to allow "re-submitting" proposal only once per client or in a period of time.

Thanks.

If this is the case, upworks should warn submitters that this cannot be changed, so be sure to be careful. I submitted an attachement in haste, thinking I can always change it. 

after following your advice it gave me this message "Since you withdrew a boosted proposal for this job, you are no longer able to apply."

Now I lost all chances to get hired for the job..??

Yes. In future ingnore posts from 2016.

juvy_ann-palma
Community Member

I find it easier to use the "Upload the file" option.  I communicate with my client when I commit errors in uploading files.  What I am confused about is that you submitted a sample of your work after submitting a proposal.  I am getting the impression that a contract is not in place yet.  In that case, the client is a POTENTIAL client.  Am I correct, Shreesti?

Edited to add: Ah, I see.  Thanks, Vladimir.

@Juvy Ann P wrote:

I find it easier to use the "Upload the file" option.

You missed the point again. There is no way to change a proposal or add anything to it once it was sent. The fact that this is a proposal is crystal clear from the OP.

The only way to fix it is to withdraw the proposal and apply again (wastes 2 connects)

Thanks, Petra. I think I expressed towards the end of my paragraph that the OP might be referring to a POTENTIAL client and not a client yet.  At first glance, I had the impression that he has a contract in place already and that he was trying to upload files.  Thanks again for the correction. Smiley Happy

Juvy...where is the "upload the file" option...I am pitching for a job...no contract yet...

mona972
Community Member

Vladimir and Petra - You were right! I had to withdraw my proposal and re-submit it to attach the sample. And yes, 2 connects got wasted but it worked.

Juvy Ann P - Yes, you are right. I was talking about potential client. Thanks for your input anyway.

This was my very first post in the community and I wasn't expecting reponses this quick! Thanks everyone!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members