🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Attempt to contact Upwork links only to C...
Page options
davidwheeler26
Community Member

Attempt to contact Upwork links only to Community

Hi, I wanted to contact upwork to point out that many clients do not specify a more precise location. It may say the UK but not where in the Uk (For Example) This puts you in a situation where you pay for a bid but have no idea if the job will be too far away. Has anyone found a way of getting this info before bidding and do you also know a route to the Upwork Staff for help? 

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

D W:

You do not need direct contact information with which you can talk to Upwork staff.

The Community Forum can help you. And Upwork employees paticipate here in the Forum.

With regards to your specific question:

If a job specifies "UK Only," the job is intended for freelancers living ANYWHERE in the UK.

There is no "specific location in the UK" that these clients are looking for.

These jobs are intended for people who will be working remotely from their own computers, from their own homes or freelance work locations. These jobs are not trying to hire people to go to their specific worksite.

Thanks for your speedy reply.

You are correct in saying that UK is enough info if it is a job such as editing. However it is
not enough when the client is a request filming. Some clients state the location but often
they don't. Other sites have a box for the client to state the location but not upwork.
petra_r
Community Member

D W wrote:

Hi, I wanted to contact upwork to point out that many clients do not specify a more precise location. It may say the UK but not where in the Uk (For Example)

You don't need to point it out. They know, it's intended.

D W wrote:

It may say the UK but not where in the Uk (For Example) This puts you in a situation where you pay for a bid but have no idea if the job will be too far away.

Upwork is a website for remote freelancing, most of us have never met any of our clients who are all over the world.

This is obviously not ideal for freelancers who do work that requires being in a certain place.

D W wrote:

Has anyone found a way of getting this info before bidding

There is no way, unless the client mentions it on the job post.

D W wrote:

...know a route to the Upwork Staff for help? 

Upwork staff won't tell you where clients are either. This is the way the site is set up.

Thanks very much for all your replies.

I guess then that when future clients say something like videographer wanted
for shoot on 21st of December they remember to say where it is within the UK.

No, didn't want to ask Upwork where a particular job is based just to point out
the issue.

Cheers everyone.

ANY job posting is allowed to specify a specific location. A specific county or region or specific city.

If a client needs to hire a freelancer to work with her locally, in person, then she definitely should specify the location. If she does not do so, it is NOT a good job posting.

There is no way to get additional information from Upwork - not from Customer Service and not from the listing itself.

If a client posts a job for a videographer and does NOT indicate WHERE the filming takes place, then a freelancer would need to decide between ignoring the job posting or submitting a proposal and asking the client where it is that they want to film.

Hi, Thanks for your post.

As I said before I am not expecting Upwork to reveal a location. I wanted to contact them so that
they could maybe change the design of the form so that the client is asked to specify location at least
in terms of the local geographic area even if not the exact location.

Yes of course a freelancer is free to ignore a request if the location is not clear but might be good
if this information is available. Bidivine have managed to do it so why not Upwork?

D W:

Bidvine's motto is "Hire trusted local service professionals."

This is the opposite of Upwork's business model.

"Upwork is a global freelancing platform where businesses and independent professionals connect and collaborate remotely"

There is no reason to expect Upwork to have the same features as a platform with the opposite purpose.

I am very sorry that I ever attempted to suggest an improvement to the Upwork system. Seems everyone
is completely happy with how things are so please ignore my comments on this issue.

D W wrote:
I am very sorry that I ever attempted to suggest an improvement to the Upwork system. Seems everyone
is completely happy with how things are so please ignore my comments on this issue.

You made your suggestion. You'll have to understand that there literally millions of freelancers who all want Upwork to change this, that or the other aspect of their business model to suit their own individual circumstances.

Clearly that's just not going to happen. Upwork can't be all things to all people.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths