Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempt to hire outside of Upwork?

francine10
Ace Contributor
Francine R Member Since: Jun 26, 2011
1 of 23

I was in negotiations with a potential client for quite a while. I understood that it would be a while until his schedule permitted him to have enough time to participate in the project. He told me he would let me know when we could begin.

He contacted me, saying that it was time, and sent me to files. I noticed that the job posting had been archived by Upwork due to the passage of time. I notified him that the contract had expired and would have to be reinstated before I did any work. This was fixed price job. I never heard from him again.

I called the Upwork help desk to discuss it. The person I spoke with acted like there was nothing else to do.

Should I do any more than that? Should this client be reported? He's posted three jobs, hired no contractors, and has been a member since Jan. 18, 2014.

Diligence is the mother of good luck...Benj. Franklin
hale_khadya
Khadya H Member Since: May 18, 2015
2 of 23

I've wondered that same thing. Myself personally, before applying to a job I see how long they've been with Upwork and then look at their hire rate. If they've been a member longer than 6 months with more than one job posting an no hires, I do NOT apply. Chances are they aren't going to hire anyone.

francine10
Ace Contributor
3 of 23

I was invited to this job. Perhaps, following your advice, I should not have accepted the invitation.

g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
4 of 23

Hi Francine,

If the client requests for you to work outside of the site, then you can flag the job or report it to customer services.

Never start a job without an official contract in place via the site.

If the client doesn't contact you again with a job offer then just look for other work. It happens. Some clients end up hiring, some don't.

francine10
Ace Contributor
5 of 23

Not only will I not start working without a contract in place, I won't start working until payment is verified.

sjones2011
Sabrina J Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
6 of 23

How do I flag the job and report it to customer service?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 23

HI Sabrina,

You can either click on the Flag as inapropriate button in the right-upper corner of the job posting, or submit a request to the Customer Support.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork
evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
8 of 23

In this regard I'd like to ask a question.

What happens to clients who are flagged as inappropriate? I had done that before with clients who wanted me to work outside Upwork. I had such an experience about 2 weeks ago and I flagged the client. Right now, out of curiosity, I went back to the job posting and I see that the client happily receives more proposals, the last one being 3 days ago.

This client has 15% hire rate (which means he often attempts to lure freelancers outside the platform) and being still here, he will continue to do so. My question is, if I flag that client (which I did) how do that impact him? The client is still on board. This makes me wonder, why should I bother flagging someone if no action is undertaken as a result?

Seeing all those last proposals kind of makes me feel angry at how unfairly these freelancers are applying to a job, and a client, with no notion of how they may be tricked. And we see how new freelancers can be lured to work without a contract. I believe this is really important and I'd like to know what happens with such clients. Should I flag as inappropriate the job post as well? What should I do further for this client to be seriously investigated and action taken?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 23

I have just had a similar experience. I bid on a job and received a reply saying that I would be paid through Upwork for the first project and thereafter, off site. I would not have taken the job in any case, as the rates are too low. But I wonder how many freelancers the client has persuaded to disintermediate.

I have reported the "client" in question, but whether anything will be done about it is moot, as the person is also a top-rated freelancer (clearly a farmer).

“Soliciting or processing payment outside of Upwork is prohibited for the safety and security of all Upwork Users. If a freelancer solicits work to be done and paid for outside of the Upwork platform, please report them immediately.

For more information, please see Section 7 of the Upwork User Agreement.

You agree to notify Upwork immediately if another person improperly contacts you or suggests making or receiving payments outside of the Site. If you are aware of a breach or potential breach of this non-circumvention agreement, please submit a confidential report to Upwork by sending an email message to: policy-reports@upwork.com.

I have only just seen that email address. So maybe one should report it there.

evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
10 of 23

Maybe yes, I will also write them to that email. What's still more important is if any action is taken against such clients? It would be quite pointless to report anyone if nothing happens afterwards. And if my flagging that job as inappropriate (and indicating that he offered work outside upwork) isn't taken into account, then upwork isn't really cleaning the platform from scammers, thus exposing to risk the new and inexperienced freelancers.

If anyone from the Upwork team could clarify, that would be most appreciated!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS