Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempt to hire outside of Upwork?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 23

Update.

Edited to delete and add: CS has just informed me that action has been taken on the job I wrote about earlier.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 23

@Evelina Z wrote:

1) What's still more important is if any action is taken against such clients? It would be quite pointless to report anyone if nothing happens afterwards.

2) And if my flagging that job as inappropriate (and indicating that he offered work outside upwork) isn't taken into account, then upwork isn't really cleaning the platform from scammers, thus exposing to risk the new and inexperienced freelancers.

1) Yes, action will be taken. Flagging works, but emailing WITH PROOF (skype screenshots or screenshot of email) works MUCH faster!

2) Flagging is great if you have no time to report, but when you email you can include the proof they need so it is much better!

evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
13 of 23

Thanks Petra, I'll definitely take more actions in regards to the client I was talking about.

colettelewis
Community Guru
14 of 23

Evelina, I apologize that I have derailed your post a bit - but it covers the same topic.

Earlier today, I reported a client for offering to work off site and gave grateful thanks to CS for having done something about it. In fact, they have done nothing. The client's job is still up there; three freelancers have been hired, and the freelancer (farmer)/client's profile proclaims honesty, and complete trustworthiness . . .

So why do we bother? Why do we care? Why should we do Upwork's bidding (and their work) when the company doesn't care sufficiently to even attempt to uphold its own regulations.  

As to academic integrity - what is that?

evetodew
Community Guru
15 of 23

Hmm, now that definitely requires some attention! Clearly reporting isn't as effective as we may think. Letting the scammers to pry on the naive beginner contractors. That's basically exactly what happens. I looked at the job posting which I talked about earlier today and half of the freelancers who applied are new and inexperienced. I can only imagine how they will fall in the same trap and the client will keep thriving.

This is exactly why I wanted to explicitly know what happens to reported/flagged clients, but no answers yet. Of course even if Upwork responds to my questions they will tell us they try to investigate such clients, and that will be all. So my guess it - the answer will be elusive and evasive enough, and devoid of actual information/facts. So yes, why bother?.... :-/ We flag them, nothing happens, life goes on.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 23

Hi Nichola,

I have followed up about your report and the team is currently working with the client. If the client does not comply with the policies, their account will be closed.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
17 of 23

Thanks Valeria,

As the job is still alive and kicking, I take it that it's OK for a client to suggest to a freelancer to work off site, and that it really is better for the freelancer not to report it or rock the boat?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 23

Hi Nichola,

We do value and encourage users' reporting policy violations. In this case, however, for certain reasons the job can't be taken down right away. The team has informed the client about the issue and will take further actions if the client doesn't comply.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
19 of 23

Thanks Valeria,

My problem is that shades of grey don't work for me. I don't mind abiding by rules, but if suddenly, the rules are applicable only intermittently then I lose faith in their veracity - I could also be tempted to break them like so many of the Upwork clients.

evetodew
Community Guru
20 of 23

When it's a client, they are politely asked and notified that an investigation is maybe currently undergoing. ("Please, continue working")

If a freelancer is suspected, they are immediately suspended and banned and whatever (no questions asked, no notifications), for several weeks.

But after all, clients pay the money, so clearly Upwork doesn't want to cut the branch they are sitting on. The client is like a customer, ergo the client is King! (no sarcasm)  Smiley Happy

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS