Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempt to hire outside of Upwork?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
21 of 23

I beg to differ.

Freelancers are customers of Upwork. We pay a basic 10% of everything we earn. Essentially we are Upwork's bread and butter - no freelancer - no client.  If we want better visibility we pay more for a membership and a higher number of connects.

At no point should a prospective client be considered on a higher level (or branch) than a freelancer. I work with people, I do not work for them. If I did, I would demand all the overheads that a normal business in the B & M world has  to pay (whatever their country): contract, salary, leave, sick leave, pension, insurance and so forth.

Clients don't always pay. Freelancers always pay - one way or another.

And actually none of the above is the point. If a company such as Upwork sets out official rules and regulations, then they should be adhered to, by client and freelancer alike. There is NO justification for a client to break the rules.

evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
22 of 23

I completely understand you. Totally! That's why I asked that question a few days ago. Clearly, clients are treated with more respect than freelancers. That's what I see after reading post after post here. A client is just investigated and notified, but the freelancer lashed at, suspended, banned, cut out, given vague explanations after pleading openly in the forums... I see the pattern. I see that the clients are respected more. If top rated freelancers are being suspended now and then... hmm... I am doubtful that if a client has a JS and was 'top rated' they would ever be suspended for anything at all.

All that is quite unfortunate, to put it mildly.. :-/

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
23 of 23

Hi Evelina,

The actions we take against each account when there is a violation in question depend on the case and the severity of a violation. There are situations, when freelancers are only warned and are still able to continue working on the platform as long as they comply with the Policies. There are also situations, when a client account is suspended permanently. The decisions are made by the team according to the Upwork Policies and the internal procedures.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS