Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempted Scams

kcarpa0216
Krystal C Member Since: Oct 5, 2016
1 of 7

Hello, 

I am new to UpWork and have tried very hard to get some jobs going on here. I was very excited today to find three invitations around the same time today and got really excited! Unfortunately during the "interviews" they asked me what bank I use and how often I would like direct deposits. 

I reported them and provided UpWork with screen shots. 

I am back to square one too. ugh...

I just wanted to pass this info along. Have a good weekend everyone!

niag
Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
2 of 7

Yeah, folks come across these scams often on Upwork. It's good that you reported them though. We hear of many who don't cut off communication at the point you did  and put themselves at risk. 

Don't be disheartened. The work will come soon enough! Welcome to Upwork!

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
3 of 7

If you are brand new, invitations you receive will more likely than not be scams.  Still with the job feed and sending proposals until you have some experience under your belt.

clark_tammara
Community Leader
Tammara C Member Since: Oct 14, 2016
4 of 7

Hi! I am very pleased o be here and am new to upwork and i do enjoy writing as much as i can. I have also received invitations three or four thus far; however during an interview on Google Hangouts i was asked when would i be able to open up a checking account? My first thought was to report this to upwork as soon as possible! Foe all other newcomers to this site be safe and watch out for scams!!

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
5 of 7

Krystal - Don't be discouraged. Consider yourself lucky and Extremely sensible and smart for recognizing a scam. Many many newcomers give that information freely, as well as cash checks sent to them and forward money from them to someone else, buy equipment and/or work with no escrow funds.

It takes time, Everyone started out with nothing. Just keep bidding away, eventually you WILL get jobs.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 7

Thanks for sharing your experience, and reporting these clients Tammara, and Krystal!

I'd like to share with you some of our educational videos and blog posts, and best practices shared by other users, to help you get started on Upwork

Getting started: 

Working safely on Upwork:

How to be successful on the platform

Tammara, I would also like to suggest that you upload a picture of your face for your profile picture. You profile photo must be a clear, headshot-style photo. Sunglasses, other individuals, logos, or photos of anything other than your face are not allowed. Here are more photo tips.

~ Avery
Upwork
clark_tammara
Community Leader
Tammara C Member Since: Oct 14, 2016
7 of 7

Thanks Avery! I was rushing to get my information and profile up and running at the time that my picture was posted. i plan to post a better picture of my self in the future.

Thanks!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS