cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attendance dates for Education on Profile

Jane R Member Since: Sep 19, 2016
1 of 28

I'm putting together a profile and saw that the site requires attendance dates for your schooling. Then I noticed the profile of another freelancer who somehow managed NOT to put attendance dates for her schooling. Why and how are some people allowed to not list dates? Thanks.

Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 28

It is possible that the freelancer has earned post-graduate units.  One way to do it is write only the major area of specialization without attaching either M.S. or M.A. degree (which appears when the drop-down menu is used).  In that way, attendance dates will serve as supporting details only.  Otherwise, whoever will look at the profile might assume that the profile is fake or that the freelancer is dishonest.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 28

@Juvy Ann P wrote:

It is possible that the freelancer has earned post-graduate units.  One way to do it is write only the major area of specialization without attaching either M.S. or M.A. degree (which appears when the drop-down menu is used).  In that way, attendance dates will serve as supporting details only.  Otherwise, whoever will look at the profile might assume that the profile is fake or that the freelancer is dishonest.

Juvy, this information is completely incorrect. To add any education to your profile right now, the area of study and description are optional but every other field is required.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 28

Hi Jane,

Attendance years are required fields when filling Education section. You may have seen a profile that was created a while ago or transferred from Elance. Could you please send me a private message with a link to that profile and I'll look into it further.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
5 of 28

I sent you a private message. I don't know how to look for any private messages that I receive. How do you do this? Thanks!

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 28

Hi Jane, 

A number should pop up on the envelope if you have any pending messages waiting to be read. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 10.34.54 AM.png

-Avery
Untitled
7 of 28

Thanks, Avery!

Steven M Member Since: Jan 16, 2017
8 of 28

Valeria, I have just joined Upwork and I'm late to this discussion.

I strongly object to the requirement for attendance dates for my higher education. Experienced professionals are often advised to omit these dates, so as not to draw attention to their ages, and that's the category I'm in.

Graduation dates for most of us are irrelevant. I'm not seeking to become an employee, or to receive benefits such as health insurance or retirement pay. I've been a freelancer for most of the last 25 years, and most of my clients have no idea when I graduated. Also, the fields that I work do not depend on skills and knowledge that are being taught today (e.g. computer languages, web design, nanotechnology. In short, there's no reason for this policy. 

I think the current policy is a big mistake. Can you please bring this to the attention of Upwork management? 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 28

Thanks for sharing your feedback, Steven. I'll forward it to the team.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Kathleen A Member Since: Mar 31, 2017
10 of 28

Steven - I just joined Upwork and I feel the same way about posting dates. 

Have you noticed any negative vibes based on the dates on your profile so far?  Looks like you've been around a bit longer than me.

Thanks.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS