cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto entrepreneur (freelance) registered in France - invoice with VAT non applicable

Highlighted
Eloisa T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
1 of 24

Hello all Upworkers!

I have just registered as a member and I have a question to those more experienced working on this platform: 

I am registered in France as a freelance translator and therefore my client's invoices are free of VAT charge, that is VAT is not applicable! I have no VAT number so I do not understand why Upwork would charge me VAT...? 

Could anyone please clarify this issue...am slightly confused! many thanks for all replies. E. Thomas

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 24

You don't need to enter a VAT number, but if you don't, Upwork will charge you with EU VAT on any service fees that Upwork charges to you. This has nothing to do with whether you charge the VAT to your clients or not.

If you enter a VAT number, Upwork will not charge you any VAT for its service.

If you work for EU-based clients outside of France, they may ask you for your VAT number since this is mandatory in EU. In this case, you will have to apply for a VAT number with the tax administration and they will issue one to you.

You will still remain exempt from VAT, as per French tax law, but you will have a VAT number to provide to Upwork and to your EU clients.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
3 of 24

Many thanks for your reply Rene K Smiley Happy

Oana M Member Since: Sep 13, 2016
4 of 24

Hi everybody,

I am a freelance translator based in France and I I do not charge/pay VAT: TVA non applicable, article 293 B du CGI VAT-exempt, according to article 293 B of the French Tax Code.

Therefore, I do not have a VAT, but only a SIRET number. You do not get a VAT number when you are VAT exempt in France, so is there a solution to this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

KInd regards,

Oana

Community Guru
5 of 24

@Oana M wrote:

You do not get a VAT number when you are VAT exempt in France, so is there a solution to this?

You do. You just apply for one with your local SIE.

-----------
6 of 24

Hello 

In answer to my own question and all your recent replies, I went straight to the source....contacted the Tax Office directly. FYI, here is what he says: (Conclusion : As a translator with an Micro-entrepreneur (former AE) status in France providing "intelectual services", we (as a company!) are not entitled to have a VAT Number. Voilà!)

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
7 of 24

That's weird. I got mine in less than 24 hours.

-----------
Community Guru
8 of 24

Ok, here is the final answer. You may need to send this to the person at your tax office, obviously they don't know their own regulations:

http://www.impots.gouv.fr/portal/deploiement/p1/fichedescriptive_5317/fichedescriptive_5317.pdf

Note the following paragraph: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

-----------
Community Guru
9 of 24

Upwork, I understand that non-English is not allowed here, but the part edited was from the French IRS official site. I believe it may help future readers from France to understand the tax law.

-----------
10 of 24

Hello René

Yes, so it seems! Thank you for your very helpfull post, I shall forward it...and curious to read their reply!

All the best

Eloisa

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS