cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto entrepreneur (freelance) registered in France - invoice with VAT non applicable

Agnes d Member Since: Jan 19, 2016
11 of 24

Thank you so much for this. I have recently relocated from Canada to France and things are much more complicated there. I also contacted my local Tax Office and they were puzzled, then mentioned the 'intracommunautaire VAT number' which I knew nothing about. Thanks to your reply and the file attached, I can now get back to them with a clear request.

Cheers

Agnes

I am also adding the link to the form and page on the official public services web page, for anyone who will search this topic in the future:

https://www.service-public.fr/professionnels-entreprises/vosdroits/R38712

Tara K Member Since: Nov 28, 2017
12 of 24

Hello everyone,

This link no longer works, and I'm coming up against the same problem - autoentrepreneur and I can't get a VAT number. Rene, any chance you can relocate the updated link? 

Thanks!

Tara

Ludivine H Member Since: Nov 5, 2019
13 of 24

Hi, I have the same issue, I am auto-entrepreneur, so no VAT number, so Upwork charged me service fees and VAT, I have 3 questions:

1/ Now my balance is empty and there is 3dollars pending. I don't understand that last part, why those 3 dollars are not in my balance, I wanted to buy connects. Why is it pending now, few minutes ago (before tax) it was on my balance?

2/ Can I buy connects directly via my balance without transfering money on my account?

3/How can I get the VAT number?
And I tried to reach the page from the Impotsgouv you gave it to us but it doesn't wrok anymore, so could you please give us details on the content of this page.
I would like to konw what is the process to get a VAT number, even if my french status specifiy that I am VAT free.
Thank you very much

Ludivine

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
14 of 24

Hi Ludivine,

Welcome to Upwork, I'll be more than happy to follow up on your questions!

1. The funds you currently see under the Pending tab are subjected to the standard five-day security period and will become available for withdrawal on the date shown under the date details. You can also hover your mouse over the question icon next to Pending and see the details about the fund's status. You can find more information about working and getting paid on Fixed-Price contracts in this Help article.

2. Once the funds become available in your account balance (move to the Available tab), you'll be able to use them to purchase Connects by going to Settings > Select Memberships & Connects > click Add More Connects > select the bundle you wish to purchase.

3. I'd like to reiterate that while you don't need a VAT number in order to offer your services on Upwork, please check the response Rene posted at the start of the thread and feel free to follow up with any questions. Rene, who is a fellow freelancer, shared the link you're referring to.

For additional clarification, VAT is assessed on digital services provided by Upwork (i.e. service fees, membership fees, and connect purchases), not on services freelancers and agencies provide their clients. You can find more information here.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 24

Eloisa,

You don't have a profile yet. Have you registered as a client or as a freelancer?

Eloisa T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
16 of 24

Hello Nichola

I'm registered as a freelancer. 

Bonne journée Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 24

@Eloisa T wrote:

Hello Nichola

I'm registered as a freelancer. 

Bonne journée Smiley Happy

Eloisa I only asked because your profile is showing as "null" which sometimes can mean that a freelancer has set up as a client by mistake.  When you create your freelancer profile, you have to complete various steps before it gets accepted by Upwork. So it looks as if you are not yet registered as a freelancer.

Eloisa T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
18 of 24

Hello Nicola

Thank you for your answer. I will rectify it as soon as possible.

Have a nice day,

Eloisa

Dave M Member Since: Jun 5, 2018
19 of 24

Thank you for your helpful information on how to apply for a VAT number in France.

I am in the process of setting up as an autoentrepreneur and registering my tax information on UpWork & have a couple of related questions:

1) In the template letter form you shared for requesting a VAT number, there is a bullet-point about making a European Service Declaration (ESD) is it relevant to autoentrepreneurs  & if so how/when does one complete this formality?

2) UpWork asks for a "Legal Name" in the W-8BEN section, but (as I understand it) an autoentrepreneur is an individual & does not have a company name, so presumably this should just be my own name?

Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
20 of 24

Hi Dave,

You can provide your legal name in the W-8BEN tax form in your user settings, however I would suggest consulting with a legal adviser regarding your question about requesting a VAT number, as we wouldn't be able to advise on this.

~Nina
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS