cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto entrepreneur (freelance) registered in France - invoice with VAT non applicable

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
21 of 24

@Dave M wrote:

1) In the template letter form you shared for requesting a VAT number, there is a bullet-point about making a European Service Declaration (ESD) is it relevant to autoentrepreneurs  & if so how/when does one complete this formality?

Since Upwork won't give you the contact details of the client, good luck with this.

2) UpWork asks for a "Legal Name" in the W-8BEN section, but (as I understand it) an autoentrepreneur is an individual & does not have a company name, so presumably this should just be my own name?

The W-8BEN is for US tax compliance only. French law doesn't apply. Just put your name.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
22 of 24
Rene, surely Elosia doesn't have to get a VAT number if they don't want to. They'd simply inform clients that they're not VAT-registered and therefore won't be charging them VAT, right?

My step dad is self-employed, isn't VAT-registered and hasn't had any issues.
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
23 of 24

Rene and Eloisa,

While we appreciate you sharing information about tax regulations in France, posts in languages other than English are not allowed by the Community Guidelines.

You are welcome to share that information in English.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
24 of 24

Valeria,

Not everyone is fluent in English. If you are giving data (complicated to understand) on a specific topic and for a specific country and language, you should allow the necessary language to be used. In this case the French.

I say this because of my experience.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS