🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Autogenerated Invoices
Page options
matejka
Community Member

Autogenerated Invoices

Hello,

why is Upwork generating invoices on my behalf?

There is an issue that the generated invoice (that can be used as well by the client) does not correspond to my local law - some mandatory values are missing and I also have to follow a specific invocies numbering... 

As I have a VAT number I have to follow pretty strict rules issued by my country authorities...

Is there an option I can issue the invoice once I finish the project and upload to Upwork? 

thanks

Jiri

8 REPLIES 8
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jiří,

Invoices include your client's company name, company owner's name, and the company's contact address. If they have a VAT number, that will be included, too. Invoices are for record-keeping purposes only.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
matejka
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

thanks for your answer.

What does it mean "for record-keeping" purposes only? If my client downloads the invoice and record it into his bookkeeping, then it is considered as valid invoice. I have no control whether the client does this or not. 

In EU there is a cross-country VAT inspection mechanism so the invoice number (and VAT number of course) is an important number. So I have to assume that the invoice can be included into client's bookkeeping and thus into this inspection mechanism... 

Should I always ask client whether he takes the autogenerated invoice or not? Not very comfortable... I would really appreciate an option to disable the autocreated invoice and issue it on my own to avoid tax issues. 

thanks

Jiri

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jiri,

At the moment we don't have this option, however, thank you for your feedback I will share it with our team.

Regarding the invoices, both freelancers and clients will receive an invoice once the client is billed. You will have an invoice for your earnings and your client about the amount they were billed. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

OK, thanks.

Yet another question - the invoices I got from Upwork for the fees are labeled

Upwork Global Inc.
2625 Augustine Dr, Suite 601
Santa Clara CA 95054
USA
VAT ID: EU528002406

Is Upwork registered to VAT in an EU country? The VAT ID seems to be invalid from EU point of view as it should begin with the country prefix like IE (Ireland) or so. 

The EU validation system at VIES (europa.eu) does not recognize this VAT ID...

thanks

Jiri

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jiri,

I would like to confirm that our VAT number is correct. For any additional questions or information, I would recommend to reach out to a local expert who can assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks for your answer. I am in contact with a local expert - my accountant... 

So is Upwork registered for VAT in EU? If yes, in what country? 

Am asking because it has an impact on my accounting...

thanks

Jiri

matejka
Community Member

I am obviously not the first one who is asking this...

See this thread I need Upwork's VAT ID for European Union - Upwork Community

thanks

Jiri

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jiří, 

Thank you for patiently waiting while we get the information. The company is registered in the Netherlands. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members