🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Automatic translation - Rising anger against....
Page options
sacrelolo
Community Member

Automatic translation - Rising anger against...

Hello,

Today, I would like to vent my humour against those customers who are demanding perfect professional translations  with the following conditions:

- 3000 words

- everything manual - no CAT tool allowed

- $25

Those offers are not especially from India or Bangladesh but from **Edited for community guidelines** countries such as Germany, the US, Canada, etc...

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Laurent V wrote:

Be sure I am going to report more **Edited for Community Guidelines**like that "customer" in the near future Smiley Mad

There is nothing to report them for. Reporting such a client wastes your and Support's time. They are not violating any terms of service. 

As far as machine translation goes, I have been sent enough nonsense "translations" for proofreading and editing that turned out to be machine translations to know that when a client pays for manual translations, that is what they should get. I generally check and if I find that it's machine translated, I send it RIGHT back to the client untouched with a note telling the client what they paid for. (I am not even talking about cheap translators).

If you want to do machine translations, it might be an idea to make sure your clients know...

prestonhunter
Community Member

Laurent, I believe that you are sincere.

But it is unacceptable for a freelancer to report job posts simply because those job posts don't fit with a freelancer's personal beliefs or preferences.

You may report a job post if it clearly violates Upwork TOS or if a job post matches one of the specified criteria found in the "Flag as inappropriate" dialog box. You may not flag or report a job post because if specifies that the client wants manually done language translation.

jr-translation
Community Member

Laurent V wrote:

Hello,

Today, I would like to vent my humour against those customers who are demanding perfect professional translations  with the following conditions:

- 3000 words

- everything manual - no CAT tool allowed

- $25

Those offers are not especially from India or Bangladesh but from "civilized" countries such as Germany, the US, Canada, etc...

This morning, I felt on an offer just like that:

-**Edited for Community Guidelines**

A lot of translators actually work with CAT tools that are connected to Deepl.

While I agree 100% there are abuses, this does not mean all freelancers produce bad translations. It is regrettable that this**Edited for Community Guidelines**customer does not endorse progress.

I am french-speaking and I recognize bad syntax or whatever is wrong in the french text.

I worked for 9 years in Organizations such as La Clinique La Prairie and 4 years at the United Nations where those tools are frequently used, for productivity purposes.

For example, autocompletion and suggestion features are actually very useful.

Again, as a french-speaker, I have a good command of my mother language.

Be sure I am going to report more **Edited for Community Guidelines**like that "customer" in the near future Smiley Mad

Regards,

Laurent

Clients can demand whatever they want, but you as a freelancer have to decide how much money you want to make with a translation. Low rates are not a ToS violation.

Most clients have no clue how translation works and how much a human translation costs. Personally I would avoid any freelancer who offers translations for 2ct/word, no matter how much experience (United Nations) he or she claims to have.

Most clients do not know the difference between MT, MAHT, HAMT, CAT, MAT, FAHQT/FAHQMT or have heard of MTPE. Neither do most translators on Upwork which is why they accept these low rates and provide the clients with a machine translation. Since many clients do not know that there are other tools besides Google translate, the only compare to Google and pay if the file is not identical. In case they ask a human to check the translation, most might comment that the quality might not be the best, but the translation is understandable.

Just in case you are interested. You can now apply for a Master in MTPE and QM.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members