🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Automatically payment refunded to my rece...
Page options
usmanaslam8404
Community Member

Automatically payment refunded to my recent client

Hi there! My client ended the hourly contract and on week-end payment release and go to the review option. After clearance from review option. my payment was in pending section. But now i receive a notification that you sent a refund of '$$' to 'client name'. and i lose my money from the pending section. but i didn't post any request about refund etc and if my client want money back then how he receive money back after the review days completed?

7 REPLIES 7
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Usman,

Unfortunately, when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. 

The team will also be reaching out to you directly via email with more information about your specific account.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

thanks for your response. but when payment is in review section then upwork
need to solve this issue. after clearance from review section that payment
goes to upwork. am i right? upwork also need to check before client post
review.
I solve client's issue and he accepted my hours then why payment refunded?

Usman:

You will not receive this money.

And that is okay!

Because the reasons you won't be paid are your own mistakes. That is a good thing, because it means you can learn from this experience and not make those same mistakes again in the future.

You have the power.

You ended up not getting paid because you didn't follow all the "rules" for hourly payment protection. But those "rules" are very easy to learn and follow.

This time, Upwork wasn't able to charge the client's credit card and collect money. So Upwork didn't pay you that money.

But in the future, you will be paid no matter what, even if Upwork can't collect the money, because you will be following the "rules":

- make sure client is payment verified before you work

- use the Upwork desktop time-tracker, not manual time

- maintain adequate activity levels (mouse/keyboard)

- record adequate memos

- screenshots show you working on client's project

Petra and Preston,

A few of your posts and replies have been removed from this thread as they were in violation of the Community Guidelines. Please, refrain from making public accusations of misconduct and personal attacks while posting in this Community even if your opinions and approaches differ. 

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks
i have some confussion like- as i mentioend on my profile that i am a graphic designer, if i am making graphic drafts on notebook manually with pencil just for getting to the right point then how will i add that manual time in my contract? 
and please tell me the usage of "add manual time" option.

Hi Usman, 

Manual time is not protected by the Upwork Hourly Protection program. In this case, you may want to change your contract into a fixed-price contract so that you can continue working on your project and continue to meet the requirements to be payment protected on Upwork. Here's a help article with more information on the difference between fixed-price and hourly contracts for your reference. 

Manual time needs to be activated by the client on their end. Once it is activiated by the client, you should be able to add manual time on your Work Diary. 

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

In this case, you may want to change your contract into a fixed-price contract so that you can continue working on your project and continue to meet the requirements to be payment protected on Upwork.

Contracts can not be changed from hourly to fixed rate. (Only ended and a new contract created) Either way, in this case the project is finished and the contract is already closed.

Manual time needs to be activated by the client on their end. Once it is activiated by the client, you should be able to add manual time on your Work Diary. 

Manual time is enabled by default unless a client proactively disables it, and he did use manual time on the project in question, which is how he lost his money in the first place.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths