Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically refund given without notice

Highlighted
Md. Syful Islam S Member Since: Jun 17, 2019
1 of 13

Hi, 

I suddenly received a notification that upwork given refund of last weeks hour. why is that? from my pending payments, amounts are gone! Can any enlight me what happened? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 13

There are certain conditions under which refunds may be initiated without a freelancer's input.

For example, if you logged manual time on an hourly contract, a client may ask to have that time removed or refunded.

Highlighted
3 of 13

I have talked to my client, he said he did not ask for refund.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 13

Md. Syful Islam S wrote:

I have talked to my client, he said he did not ask for refund.

Tell him to get it together and reply to the email that his credit card failed and stop trying to be purposely obtuse.

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
5 of 13

Hi Md. Syful Islam,

When the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. Please, check out this help article for more information.

Our team will reach out to you directly via email with more information about your specific case.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
6 of 13

Waiting for the email, thanks.

Highlighted
7 of 13
Hi i am still waiting for contact team to be in touch with me.
Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
8 of 13

Hi Md. Syful Islam,

A member of the team has reached out to you just recently. If you aren't able to see the email you should also be able to access the ticket directly here.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
George J Member Since: Nov 9, 2014
9 of 13

I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago. Threw my entire finacial situation into a tailspin. I got on the phone with Upwork and ended up spending north of 2hrs on the phone with support over it. It still hasn't been resolved. The sheer number of time the CSR said "I understand your frustration" ticked me off to no end, causing my blood pressure to skyrocket which had my wife genuinely concerned that I might pass out or end up having a stroke (my face was tingling and everything). 

The long and short of it was that my client's card declined. Even though Upwork guarantees payment for time worked to the freelancer if it's tracked in the app, that doesn't mean every bit of time will get paid in a situation like this. In my case I'm doing a lot of work that requires a lot of kicking off process and staring at the screen waiting for pertinent data to pop up or waiting for stuff to happen. Upwork's team didn't like the time logged for that kind of stuff and subsequently docked my pay for every time I did work but there was low activity. I was also docked for times where the time tracker took a blank screenshot (due to no fault of my own, it's running on Ubuntu 16.04 and appears to have this issue at random) and for manual time entered for a business related phonecall between myself and the client. The amount docked represented roughly a third of my pay for that week. I'm still trying to recover from it. The CSR kept trying to get my client involved but that was completely unnecessary as neither I nor my client triggered the refund; it was 100% Upwork's doing.

Highlighted
10 of 13

Sorry to hear that. Luckily my client responded right way, and sent the payment as bonus. I am also using ubuntu 18.04. As i have a team with me, i needed to use other software for timetracking. so at weekend we show the reports from that software and then insert manual hours on upwork. I didn't face this issue before. so got quite anxious about it. All good now. But upwork should have live chat system or more convincing email where it should explain what happened, or notice before the refund. My client also got confused why this had happened! 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS