cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Average time to hire

Highlighted
Tapojyoti G Member Since: Mar 19, 2016
1 of 20

Hi, I am a PSD to HTML converter, and I just submitted my first 2 proposals on Upwork. The thing is, it's been almost two days now and apparently the clients I've applied to have not hired anyone,or if they have, it does not say so beneath the job description, where the number of proposals/interviews are displayed. First of all, when I search for PSD to HTML jobs, about 800-900 jobs come up. Usually only the first 10-30 are posted recently, and the rest were posted weeks and months ago. So do they show up because the job is still active, or the cient hasn't hired anybody, or because of some error? Also, what is the average time it takes for a client after they have created a job item to hire someone? Thank you.

Highlighted
Vipin K Member Since: Aug 21, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 20

" What is the average time it takes for a client after they have created a job item to hire someone?"

Every client hire someone within a week time, after job is posted. So only apply to a job in which client haven't hire someone else. It is recommended to apply in new job posts, but still you can go for some older job post which may not be real. As some has posted that job using fake account (After you spend time on Upwork, you will come to know which job is real or not).

Your search for job will show all the jobs posted on Upwork.com, whether or not the client hire someone. It is not an error, upwork show every job which is posted. If client hire someone then it shows 'Hire:1', otherwise none.

I give you an advice: Try to spend more time on Upwork.com and learn how it work. Apply every job in which you think you could be hired. Improve your portfolio to show your work to clients(for trust).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 of 20

Thanks for the your fast answers, guys. I see that in jobs marked urgent the client will want to hire asap but in other jobs the timing is variable, and may take a week. I have only applied and will apply to the other jobs category for now, as I don't want to get ahead of myself, seeing that I'm new here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 20

@Tapojyoti G wrote:

....I see that in jobs marked urgent the client will want to hire asap but in other jobs the timing is variable, and may take a week.

Tapojyoti,

I'm sure this is variable by field. In my niche, declarations of urgency signal a disorganized poster who is relatively unlikely to hire and likely to be more difficult as a client than I care to deal with. On the other hand, at least one colleague does quite well by specializing in quick-turnaround work. Extrapolation from declared urgency has to be done in context.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 20

Tapojyoti, I'm not sure if you'll find this useful, but in my experience, there's no average time, because every client and every job is different. Having said that, there are a large number of jobs where no one is ever hired. Sometimes the client hires a freelancer from another platform, or violates the site TOS and pays an Upwork freelancer directly without offering a contract. Before you send a proposal, make note of the client's % Hire Rate -- if it's less than 50%, then there's a good chance you're wasting a connect by submitting a proposal.

6 of 20

Thanks for your reply, I guess I just have to wait more and keep trying my luck. I guess very few people got their first job on Upwork with just 2 proposals. And I badly want to join their ranks, though it may seem impossible, if the jobs I applied for turn out to be ingenuine. I'll try to be careful next time.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 20

@Tapojyoti G wrote:

I guess very few people got their first job on Upwork with just 2 proposals. And I badly want to join their ranks, though it may seem impossible, if the jobs I applied for turn out to be ingenuine. I'll try to be careful next time.

Tapojyoti,

People commonly report hire-to-proposal ratios of 1:10, 1:20, even 1:100. Careful is good. Invest your connects wisely.

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 20

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Tapojyoti G wrote:

I guess very few people got their first job on Upwork with just 2 proposals. And I badly want to join their ranks, though it may seem impossible, if the jobs I applied for turn out to be ingenuine. I'll try to be careful next time.

Tapojyoti,

People commonly report hire-to-proposal ratios of 1:10, 1:20, even 1:100. Careful is good. Invest your connects wisely.

Best,

Michael

It took me 35 proposals to get my first 6 clients on Upwork. 4 of those 6 have kept me so busy since that I just keep moving my "Unavailable until" date out further and further. 

Highlighted
Tuncay S Member Since: Mar 21, 2016
9 of 20

My opinion is, clients might be lazy to serach all the applicants. They start from the first applicant to interview. So early applied  candidates are more likely to be given the oppurtunity for interview 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 20

@Tuncay S wrote:

My opinion is, clients might be lazy to serach all the applicants. They start from the first applicant to interview. So early applied  candidates are more likely to be given the oppurtunity for interview 

Nope. They aren't ordered like that. Recommended is where you want to be. I pillage gigs from dozens of bidders all the time. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS