Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average time to hire

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Robyn L Member Since: Apr 30, 2016
11 of 20

So pleased to glean all this information. I have been on Upwork almost a month. I've had one website content writing job that took me 2 days to do for quite a small fee. No feedback from client.

Then nothing for weeks until I suddenly get this job only to find out it was a university student wanting me to dohis/her assignment. The Uni spec quoted 20 hours of research and work required. I understood it to be a review and recommendations for additional content with some editing. I asked the client some pertinent questions and the he/she cancelled on me before I had time to explain to Upwork that I was not interested in doing unethical work like this.

I am sure there are ethical clients out there somewhere, but I can't spend too much more time surfing the jobs and getting nowhere.

What I do see here is a lot of wonderful freelancers who are so willing to shaer their knowledge and experiences. Thanks for caring about each other.

Fingers crossed that I get something else soon or I will have to consdier "closing up shop".

Cheers everyone.

Highlighted
Diego W Member Since: May 22, 2016
12 of 20

Hi John, Im a musician new in upwork and your reply has helped me a lot!

I think I´ve been wasting a lot of connects.

But where can I see the client's % Hire Rate?? can´t find it

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
13 of 20

It will look something like this once you are viewing the job post:

Austria
Wien 10:44 PM

12 Jobs Posted
59% Hire Rate, 3 Open Jobs

$2,418 Total Spent
10 Hires, 5 Active

$26.52/hr Avg Hourly Rate

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
14 of 20

Two days? Blimey... what's wrong with them?! Yeah,  there's no average, I've been hired within hours and within months. Also, you posted this on a Saturday, so the client only really had one day before the weekend kicked in and she's off sipping cocktails on her yacht in the Bahamas. Give her a bit of time.   

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 20

As a client I sometimes post jobs to get help RIGHT NOW. Sometimes I have hired contractors within ten minutes of posting a job, worked with them, and closed the contract within an hour or two. The contractors really like these kinds of jobs, because they get some money and rack up some hours and a positive review within such a short amount of time, with no interview, jumping through hoops or other games.

Highlighted
Tapojyoti G Member Since: Mar 19, 2016
16 of 20

So I've applied for 2 more listings, that brings the total upto 4. Only one of them has actually hired somebody, and he/she did it very fast (the client specifically requested lowest prices). I was wondering, about how many days after one starts applying for jobs, does one get hired? Provided that one has a good profile and is skilled, as I hope I have and am. I have positioned myself in a specific niche, and am offering free sample work whenever possible, just as many freelancers have recommended on the web.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 20

Anywhere from now to never.

Keep bidding and never put your energy into any 1 proposal until there is a contract in place. Send proposal and move on. You'll always need to feed the machine. 

The proposal part is the most important but the hardest one to master IMO.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 20

@Tapojyoti G wrote:

So I've applied for 2 more listings, that brings the total upto 4. Only one of them has actually hired somebody, and he/she did it very fast (the client specifically requested lowest prices). I was wondering, about how many days after one starts applying for jobs, does one get hired?

Um, are you not reading the responses you've already received?

[I] am offering free sample work whenever possible, just as many freelancers have recommended on the web.

Careful! Don't believe everything you read on the web (or anywhere else). Although if a moderator comes along and warns you against violating ToS and losing your account, you can believe that.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
19 of 20

I am fairly new here so will just give you my stats, not sure how they compare to the averages

Days on UW: 30

Proposals Sent: 65

Jobs done: 9

Clients worked for: 7

Interviews: Around 20

Edit: 1st job on the 4th day after around 10-15 proposals to random/already hired/ill fitted job posts

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
20 of 20

@Tapojyoti G wrote:

about how many days after one starts applying for jobs, does one get hired? 

What Jennifer said. There's no guarantee that anybody will ever get hired here. And even if they do, there's nothing to say that it won't take a week, a month or a year. Asking how long it takes to get hired here, is like calling up the local newspaper and asking them how long it takes people to get hired when applying for jobs in their paper. Some of the employers won't hire anyone, those that do will take different amounts of time to hire and when they do hire someone... most of the time, they're going to hire somebody other than you. That's just odds.

The key is to ensure that the odds be ever in your favour. Or something like that. Discriminate... target your proposals towards jobs you know you have the skills to pay the bills and will be able to deliver a very high quality of work. Make sure your proposals are great. Don't give the clients any excuses to not hire you. Work on your profile, your portfolio... make them the best they can be. Go forth. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS