cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid suspension for too many proposals. How?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Cesare D Member Since: Feb 4, 2017
1 of 19

Hey all,

Some stats first: I have applied to 25 jobs in my Upwork career (1 month), and I have been interviewed twice and hired once. Hence, my stats are slightly below for the Mobile, Web development area. I have been earning a constant stream of $200/week for the past three weeks.

I want to apply to more jobs (because I have time to take on new projects), but I fear of getting my account suspended because of too many proposals sent. Yes, I have read Garnor's post and I will definitely improve my profile (along with my profile photo) and work on my proposals to make them even better.

Should I wait for my first job to come to an end, and get that (hopefully) 5 star review so that the system thinks I am doing ok (aka doesn't suspend my account for submitting too many proposals) or should I keep sending targeted, customized proposals to clients, hence ignoring my relatively poor conversion rate?

Thanks!

Cesare

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 19

I really think that Upwork is aiming for freelancers who submit bids for months and never get a job, possibly because they are taking the potential client off of the platform.  Also aiming for robo-bidders, I suspect.

I would not be at all afraid of bidding on more jobs.  You are earning $$, which makes Upwork happy.

Community Guru
Reem H Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
3 of 19
I worry about this too but from what I understand it's for people who try for months without any jobs or like 2 jobs in 2 months or something like that

so hopefully it;ll be ok, because it's not logical to suspend newbies for submitting many proposals and not getting many jobs since this is how most people start out
Ahmed Bin M Member Since: Nov 6, 2017
4 of 19

I do agree what you mentioned as I am also a newbie and trying to learn the policies and rules of UPwork. So far, I have bid 14 proposals from last 10 days relevant to my work so, I think we should not get banned from UPwork in bidding to the relevant category same as my profile expertise is.  I am sharing a screenshot with you and I want to know is there any chances to get banned in bidding?? Please help me to know about it and what the rules to follow. 

Best Regards
Ahmed Bin Mahmud

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Ryszard J Member Since: Nov 6, 2016
5 of 19

To increase Your chances, bid only on jobs which:

- are no older than 20 minutes - 1 hour depending on the niche

- have "0" interviewing while submitting proposal

- have a client with at least 40% hire rate (unless it's a new client)

- don't have multiple proposals already

Also:

- don't bid when You don't meet even one of requirements

- submit quite detailed bids

- bid low at start

- stay online to be available, when client wants to have a conversation

Until You have a Rising Talent badge, landing a job will be difficult.

I heard that only extreme cases of not being able to land a job constantly are threatened with account's closure and that it happens only for job categories with many more workers than needed.

Community Guru
Reem H Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
6 of 19

@Ryszard J wrote:

Also:

- bid low at start

- stay online to be available, when client wants to have a conversation

I heard that only extreme cases of not being able to land a job constantly are threatened with account's closure and that it happens only for job categories with many more workers than needed.

great tips! thank you

but isn't 40% too low? I personally don't bid if it's under 60-70%

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
7 of 19

@Ryszard J wrote:

Disagree. There are jobs where clients pick the first person that applies, But there are jobs hours old (and longer) where you have a chance of winning.

Your chances might??? be less if the client is interviewing someone, but if you're proposal is good enough you too may be interviewed. IMO as long as the job is open it's fair game.

Also:

Ths minimum requirements is a bit of a disadvantage, (especially the number of hours requirement) But I've submitted proposals on those and have gotten a job dispite it. IMO don't let that stop you. If you're skilled enough and your proposal is fantastic, then go for it.

This statement is debatable, You don't want to give away TOO much detail, but yet you do want to go into the scope of the work that's required.

- bid low at start

DISAGREE. In fact I feel like striking out or deleting that statement. You bid low to start you will attract the low paying clients who will give you endless edits, more work then originally stated and will be horrible in general to work with. And when you do raise your rates, it will be like starting all over again. Clients will look at your past jobs and wonder why they have to pay more then a previous client for the same type of work. Bid what you are worth. Of course, if you are using this site to learn, and you have no experience or skills, then yes, bid low because you r work won't be up to the standare as the rest of the professionals here

stay online to be available, when client wants to have a conversation

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 19

I think you should worry less about this and just go on sending targeted proposals to jobs that are a very good fit for you (not every job you could do). 

I disagree with everything Ryszard said except that I don't send proposals when the client is already interviewing someone unless I truly am the best possible person for the job to the point that it would be reasonable to expect the client to abandon discussions with another candidate when he got my proposal.

I think most people would do much better here if they gave up trying to figure out the "system" and just wrote strong bids for jobs they'd be top candidates for.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
9 of 19

@Tiffany S wrote:

I disagree with everything Ryszard said except that I don't send proposals when the client is already interviewing someone unless I truly am the best possible person for the job to the point that it would be reasonable to expect the client to abandon discussions with another candidate when he got my proposal.

The only thing he wrote I partly agree with is 'don't bid when You don't meet even one of requirements'. If I feel the requirement is an important one, then I won't apply.  Anyway, if the Marketing Effectiveness section of my stats page has any validity, then I apparently get hired more often than practically every freelancer in my category. This doesn't mean Ryszard's approach isn't better, but it should demonstrate that you can succeed without following any particular system. 

10 of 19

@John K wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

The only thing he wrote I partly agree with is 'don't bid when You don't meet even one of requirements'. If I feel the requirement is an important one, then I won't apply.  Anyway, if the Marketing Effectiveness section of my stats page has any validity, then I apparently get hired more often than practically every freelancer in my category. This doesn't mean Ryszard's approach isn't better, but it should demonstrate that you can succeed without following any particular system. 

I routinely ignore number of hours requirements, because I work almost exclusively on a fixed price basis--I've been working regularly on Upwork for a year and am still showing 2 hours worked. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS