annie_xu

BEWARE: SCAM Interview via Google hangout

Hello everyone, 

I think I have been scammed!

I'm new to Upwork and recently I started submitting proposals to jobs. Two of them replied my messages and one of them asked me to add him on Google Hangout for immediate interview so I did. He asked me three or four questions and I answered them (all by chat, no webcam) then I was told I would receive an email from their HR department about their decision. A few hours later or at the end of the day I did get an email from them and said that I got the job and I was asked to fill out an Employee Agreement. YES..I returned them the agreement with all my personal information ( name, social security number, address, etc.  no bank account information details though, however he asked me which bank do I use I told him Chase during the interview chat) 

On the next day, I got an email again from the HR department about the orientation program and told me to contatct this guy who has been chatting to me on Google hangout for the orientation. Because of time zone difference and stuff, I missed the first message that he sent me. Today an hour ago, I was able to chat with him and he again said" will be available in an hour" for orientation and started asking me loggin information for my bank for setting up payroll? (SUSPICIOUS, NO WAY! then I realized this is a scam T-T) 

I was trying to report this to Upwork but couldn't find a way to contact them or chat with the upwork team about this. Can someone advise me what to do now? And, I hope I'll be fine since I gave them all my personal information including SSN and signed the contract....  😕

6 REPLIES 6
lsulak

Sorry for such a horrible experience. I have also applied for this job but when i got all this request I blocked the so called client. These guys are the same spammers with the website from Dubai. 

You should call your bank and advice them of what happened so they can be on the lookout for anything suspicious.

Upwork need to protect us as this never happened on elance.

@Laufton S wrote:

Sorry for such a horrible experience. I have also applied for this job but when i got all this request I blocked the so called client. These guys are the same spammers with the website from Dubai. 

You should call your bank and advice them of what happened so they can be on the lookout for anything suspicious.

Freelancers need to protect themselves.

Unless a freelancer breaks the terms of service by agreeing to be paid directly (which the OP has done and even attached the proof that she has done) - which is a an offence that can get one's account suspended - it is impossible to be harmed by that particular scam.

If people don't want to follow Upwork's rules they are solely responsible for 1) being scammed and 2) encouraging the scammers.

If people didn't volunteer to break the rules the scam would stop.

Oh and it happened on Elance as well.

@Laufton S wrote:

It happened on Elance too and Upwork actually has means in place to protect freelancers. Those means are laid out in the help section, but in short, it's using Upwork to get paid.

When you give your bank info to a potential client, you expect to be paid directly by the client, circumventing Upwork and its payment protections.

This is your own decision, but when you take this decision, you have to face all the possible consequences. Which can be: being scammed and/or being banned from Upwork.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Annie,

You should never send copies of your ID's or share your SSN, bank account details, email and account login information, or any other sensitive personal information to other users. Please stop communicating with the two clients you had an interview with. Our team will remove both jobs from the platform shortly. Before submitting new proposals I strongly advise you to read this list of safety tips and our Freelancer Guide. Make sure not to start working unless you have an active contract on Upwork, use Upwork Protection Programs and only accept to get paid through the platform.

Untitled
blazewriter

Sorry to hear you got scammed. That same company contaced me and when they started asking for my personal bank info, I knew it was a scam and contacted Upwork. Your message here should reach the right people, if not send them a message so they can at least try to get this guy off the site. Good luck

Judi, the 'guy' is not just one person - it is a network of people - hundreds of them. Upwork does what it can . . .