🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: BEWARE - URL Links in job posting.
Page options
bentbrain
Community Member

BEWARE - URL Links in job posting.

Hi All

I have seen a large increase in URL's in job posting and you should virus scan the URL before clicking.

I guess UpWork does not prevent this as part of their service so BEWARE hackers are using this as delivery methods.

Also take note if posted job "PAYMENT METHOD NOT VERIFIED" and have multiple posts for the same job... It a scam.

5 REPLIES 5
williamtcooper
Community Member

Yes, never click a link before the Prospect become a Client. These types of posts are usually reported quickly and removed.

William T C wrote:

Yes, never click a link before the Prospect become a Client. These types of posts are usually reported quickly and removed.

I've seen several of your answers and I don't know what to think.
If we don't open links sent by customers:
- We will not be able to know the material that they are showing us, for example.
- We will not be able to see links to examples of what they like, in animation or video editing, for example.

That you have to be careful, it is clear, but to say that you should not open links before having a contract....

That's true, if I don't click the link, I will not be clear with the client's requirement, sometimes it occurs trust issue between me and client, which makes me frustrated... But it is a good point to beware of the scam url link though.

He didn't say that.

What William says is:

Scam clients will not proceed to fund a contract if they interview you, meaning their links on the job post will contain malware or direct freelancers to weird webpages. On the contrary, if the client funds the contract, then the chances are the link would be safe. Scam clients rarely, if ever, fund contracts

I think he's right. 

Above all, though, use common sense folks!

akhter_faharia
Community Member

William and Maria, both seem right!
In my opinion-

• We should virus scan the link
  • scan any images
  • And look for if there is any past work history about the client
  • We can also get an idea about how the client actually is through the feedback!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members