🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » ¨BOOST YOUR PROFILE¨: A QUALITY AND MERITOCRA...
Page options
cmirra
Community Member

¨BOOST YOUR PROFILE¨: A QUALITY AND MERITOCRACY KILLER TOOL

Upwork's recent introduction of the "Boost your profile" feature has raised concerns among both freelancers and clients. As a Top Rated Plus freelancer with a decade of experience, I believe it's crucial to address the issues this feature poses.

From the freelancer's perspective, the new feature disrupts the meritocracy that Upwork has prided itself on. Now, your visibility to clients depends on how much you're willing to pay for it. This undermines the value of hard-earned experience and stellar reviews. Furthermore, there's no guarantee that the clients viewing your boosted profile are offering quality projects. It's a questionable marketing investment.

For clients, this change means that Upwork's suggestions may no longer offer the best matches for their job postings. This results in time-consuming searches and potential mismatches, ultimately reducing the quality of service and freelancer profiles.

It's evident that Upwork is prioritizing profit over quality and meritocracy. However, this short-term gain might drive experienced freelancers and clients to explore better alternatives, ultimately benefiting Upwork's competitors.

Thank you for reading this post. If you agree with me, add your like, and possibly your comment: let's show how many people are disappointed by Upwork's ¨Boost your profile¨ tool. 

On the other hand, if you disagree with what I've written, I welcome your insights and the opportunity to engage in a constructive discussion.

5 REPLIES 5
nav_designer
Community Member

Regrettably, Talent has been killed. While a higher commission rate of more than 40% would be preferable, it would not guarantee survival, as there is a lack of high-quality clients on Upwork. This is because clients are able to obtain inexpensive and low-quality work from con artists. now clients get to know This is known as "pay-to-win" and upwork allows con clients to gain an advantage by paying more for services. hiring from the proposal is a dream now there is no chance of getting hired.

cmirra
Community Member

Hi Hassan,

I believe that opportunities for getting hired still exist on Upwork. If you apply to a job with the right skills and experience, you have a chance to win a client. While it's true that some clients are looking for cost-effective solutions, there are also clients willing to pay a fair price for quality work.

The problem arises from how these quality-seeking clients can find the right freelancer on Upwork, especially when the platform prioritizes boosted profiles over expertise. This shift forces clients to sift through job applications individually, which can be time-consuming, and high-profile clients, in particular, prefer efficiency. Those with the budget for quality work understand the value of their time and are willing to pay more for a quick and suitable match. Upwork used to assist in this by suggesting the most suitable candidates, but with the emphasis on boosted profiles, this valuable feature has been compromised.

a48646eb
Community Member

I agree.  When Upwork dropped the fees from 15 to 10%, I thought it would benefit Talent. But I see now, that money is going towards a bidding process. When I boost my bid to get noticed, no problem, for a 15 Connects job, I used to boost for 20, 25.  Now boosts are requiring 40 to 50 connects.  The price for connects hasn't gone down. 

In some ways, I understand, is that if I'm not in search mode, I don't spend. But nowadays, it can cost me 10-15$ a day send out 4-5 proposals.  

a48646eb
Community Member

In addition, if low quality talent is bidding higher then I am. It's a poor incentive for employers to come back to Upwork. If I am the best fit, the chances of me spending 60 connects to Boost my proposal is rather unlikely.  Should I be rethinking that?

cmirra
Community Member

Precisely. Boosted profiles offer lower quality to employers, and are a bad marketing investment for most freelancers. You pay just to get viewed, with good chances to get invitations to a garbage project.

The only way to connect good clients with good freelancers is to use a meritocratic system, where the best profiles are the first to appear in invite suggestions and search results. That's how Upwork used to be, and that still worked when they started to make you pay to bid with the connects system.   But now the change is radical. Forcing freelancers to boost their profile is like forcing athletes to use doping in the Olympic games. It makes the competition unfair and unhealthy for the whole system.

The blind search for quick profit is stabbing in the back Upwork's community, frustrating careers, and erodingtrust.  I hope Upwork's management realizes that and chooses to revert to a platform that values skills, expertise, and quality.  But I doubt they will.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members