Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to Upwork after a hiatus but not receiving any response from clients

kholowack
Kevin H Member Since: Mar 5, 2018
1 of 17

Hello everyone,

I tried my hand at Upwork a few years ago and worked for a handful of clients, nothing high-paying but good experiences nonetheless.

I recently returned after several more years of education and work, narrowed and fine-tuned my profile, and started sending more proposals, but am recieving absolutely zero repsonse. I'm a highy motivated, competant, and adaptable writer/editor, so the silence on the line is confusing. I was hoping someone with more experice with Upwork could take a quick peek at my profile to see if there's anything hindering my response rate.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect it has something to do with my previous client. We got along well and I performed quality work, but they left me a less than five star rating. The written feedback is still positive, but there's a chance the stars are detering potential new clients.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

djbillings
DJ B Member Since: Feb 23, 2018
2 of 17

Hi Kevin,

I'm new to Upwork and I'm having the same issue of zero bites after many proposals sent. I looked at your profile and read some of the articles. You look very hireable to me. I wish I had some feedback to give, but I would hire you.

I'm not sure the 4-star reviews would be hurting you, especially with the good reviews. In my view, four stars is very good. Some people don't like to give five stars for anything(always room for improvement sort of thing), so I don't think it's a problem.

How many proposals do you send out daily or weekly?

kholowack
3 of 17

Thanks for taking the time to look at my profile and give your impressions, DJ! Very appreciated.

It's true that some people will never give four stars. I've seen this happen on other websites that work on a similar system, but I've also heard it said on Upwork that there exists a sort of "unwritten rule" that clients should give five stars for a job well done. Otherwise one ends up in a situation like this one.

As for proposals, I'm still testing the waters so I'm only sending out about three a day. No response yet. Not unlike applying for jobs in the "real world," in fact.

Anyway, thanks for your help and good luck!

allenwatson23
Community Leader
Allen W Member Since: Oct 7, 2017
4 of 17

Hey Kevin!

Welcome back! Don't despair over the non-responses right now. I see you have a job in progress. Your job right now is to do EVERYTHING 100% correct and leave the client happy and wanting more. I won't like, the old feedback would discourage me as a client. So, you need to get some great feedback under your belt to balance that out. They older clients didn't give you a five on anything, so that is concerning, particularly with the threes on communication and avaliability. 

Just hit it out of the park with the ones you do get. The more five star feedbacks you get, the more clients will jump on board.

kholowack
5 of 17

Thanks for the response, Shane! I'm glad you gave me the honest truth about the less-than-five star rating discouraging potential clients. I can definitely imagine myself in their shoes and see myself skipping over people with a lower rating, especially if the other applicants don't have that strike against them.

I've also heard that jobs older than two years (and that one is) are not factored into the JSS score. Is this true? I hope it is, as it would be quite discouraging to have my first contract - which was short-run, which I took on when I was twenty-two, and which seemed to please the client - holding me back as a freelancer indefinitely.

Do you you know if there are alternative solutions to this issue? Is it proper etiquette to re-contact the client after several years to inquire? Or does Upwork under any circumstance waive this kind of feedback?

Thanks you very much for your time!

mariga_richard
John A Member Since: Feb 20, 2018
6 of 17

Hey Kevin. When you send proposals, the first thing a client looks at is your job success score (JSS) or your budges (Rising Talent/Top Rated). You have neither of that at the moment. You can gain a "Rising Talent" budge after you have completed your profile 100% and taken some tests and after 5 - 8 successful jobs, you will given your JSS. after that things will be much easier but for now just keep trying (remember to send great proposals to clients, highlighting your areas of expertise and why you believe the client should work with you. Dont sound desparate but rather professional)

also be checking a client's hire rate and rating. Dont waste your connects on clients who will end up not hiring anyone

I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

kholowack
7 of 17

Thanks for the tips, John. I have taken your advice and achieved 100% completion on my profile. This feels like a good first step toward attracting potential clients. Likewise, I will be sure to pay more attention to hiring rates from now on.

I look forward to continuing the hunt with your advice in mind. Cheers!

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 17

@John A wrote:

Hey Kevin. When you send proposals, the first thing a client looks at is your job success score (JSS) or your budges (Rising Talent/Top Rated)

Where are you getting your information?

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
9 of 17

Hi Kevin. I suggest fixing the typo in the first three words of your profile overview!

djbillings
DJ B Member Since: Feb 23, 2018
10 of 17

What typos were those? I was looking for them but didn't see any. What am I missing?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS