Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Client Rate

Highlighted
Filip M Member Since: Oct 16, 2017
1 of 19

Hello Upwork Community,

I am in a position where i do not know what can I do. 

The thing is, i was working some small task for 30 days. It was very easy job and of course i did it well. The problem is the rating client give me. He gave me 3.8 and that puts my sucess score at 86% only because I am new to Upwork and i have finished only 5 jobs.

Then I checked the client and find out that was his first job at Upwork. He hired 7 more freelancers on that job and he give bad ratings to all of us. I am sure that all did perfect job, because it was easy, my little brother is able to do that.

So the problem is in the client. He did not know what he was doing. The best part is that he was satisfied with my work. He even wrote "Thank you so much for working with me! It was my pleasure having you. Praying for your success on upwork!".

Upwork support answered me to solve this with client, whitch is not posible because he never respond to any of my messages during the work or after. 

Also they said to me this: "If your score is in the 80's, you've done solid work but Client's feedback indicates you also have some improvement. You can read more about boosting your score here (missing link)"

But the truth is, i did all my jobs perfect-not solid as they say, and my Success rate is in the 80' because client's laziness, incompetency and lack of respect.

So my question is, Was someone in a similar situation like me, and is there anything to be done.

Sorry if there were any grammar/spelling mistakes, English is not my first language. Thank you !

Filip

Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 19

If the client's not responding, there's nothing you can do. And there are only so many feedback-related messages you can send  him before it becomes an annoyance that you can get reported for. 

At the moment your best course of action is moving on, finding other clients and vetting them well, doing good work and leveraging new feedback against his. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 19

The client is not expected to know what he is doing here. As freelancers, we are the professionals and we represent the platform. We are the ones who are expected to know how to use it properly.

Clients are not "incompetent."

Clients are customers.

Highlighted
Carmen B Member Since: Feb 2, 2019
4 of 19

Yes, many times they are incompetent or they do not realize what a bad rating can do to someone who has always had good ratings. Your answer is incompetent.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 19

It's fortunate your client has not responded. if he responds now, you probably do not want to risk enabling him to change feedback. After all, what kind of rating would you give to someone who hounded you to change his honest rating of your work simply because he disagreed with you and then called you lazy, incompetent and disrespectful in a public forum?

Chances are very good that if this client comes back around and agrees to change the feedback just to end your harassment, he will change it to the much lower rating you deserve for this unprofessional behavior.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 19

............... plus private feedback can not be changed anyway.  Any client looking you up prior to hiring you and finding public posts where you call your paying clients "lazy, incompetent and disrespectful" will probably pass you by..

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
7 of 19

Preston wrote: "The client is not expected to know what he is doing here. As freelancers, we are the professionals and we represent the platform. We are the ones who are expected to know how to use it properly."

My response: Not the case.  Clients are expected to know:

1) what they think they need

2) that they must communicate this to FLer

3) keep a line of active communication going ... no one is a mind reader.

Preston: "Clients are not "incompetent."

My response: Yes - some clients are incompetent. This is why I always suggest every FLer, before accepting a job, get on Skype and chat with the client about the job.  Spend 5 minutes doing this and save yourself a lot of angst.

Preston: "Clients are customers."

My response: Yes,  the clients you choose to work with are YOUR customers. You, as a FLer, are as much a client of Upwork as any potential buyer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
8 of 19

Actually, clients are  our customers. 

BUT WE THE FREELANCERS are Upwork's customers, as they earn their money from us, not the clients.  As such, Upwork has a fiduciary responsibility to freelancers, just as freelancers have a fiduciary relationship with their individual clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
9 of 19

Mary, if I could kudo your comment a million and one times I would ... despite having a very tired finger as the result.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
10 of 19

It is simply amazing how certain people are so quick to condemn and patronize some freelancers and willing to understand others (mostly when they have cute graphic design portfolios).

I haven't checked out the OP's profile and I won't. The client comment talks about being happy with the work delivered and "praying for the freelancer's success". Seriously?

Those same people would slam this kind of comment accompanied by a 3.8 star rating if they deemed the OP worthy.

The double standard in this forum is sickening.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS