Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Client Rate

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 19

@Ela K wrote:

It is simply amazing how certain people are so quick to condemn and patronize some freelancers and willing to understand others (mostly when they have cute graphic design portfolios).

I haven't checked out the OP's profile and I won't. The client comment talks about being happy with the work delivered and "praying for the freelancer's success". Seriously?

Those same people would slam this kind of comment accompanied by a 3.8 star rating if they deemed the OP worthy.

The double standard in this forum is sickening.

Ela, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm equally bothered by complaining about feedback regardless of who the complaint comes from. I think the expectation that every completed job is a 5-star job if the freelancer didn't break something is ridiculous, and completely undermines the usefulness of star ratings at all. 

I recently got a 4.15 from a client who wrote wonderful things about me, publicly and privately. I made it through the experience without either the need to dissect the "problem" and look for a "solution" in the forums or paying for therapy. It's a 4, not a 1. It's entirely reasonable for a client to be happy and reasonably rate the freelancer less than perfect. It's entirely UNreasonable for a freelancer to be running around, as so many do, telling us what their rating or their JSS "should" be. That's for clients to decide--and most seem to be artificially inflating as it is.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
12 of 19

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Ela K wrote:

It is simply amazing how certain people are so quick to condemn and patronize some freelancers and willing to understand others (mostly when they have cute graphic design portfolios).

I haven't checked out the OP's profile and I won't. The client comment talks about being happy with the work delivered and "praying for the freelancer's success". Seriously?

Those same people would slam this kind of comment accompanied by a 3.8 star rating if they deemed the OP worthy.

Ela, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm equally bothered by complaining about feedback regardless of who the complaint comes from. I think the expectation that every completed job is a 5-star job if the freelancer didn't break something is ridiculous, and completely undermines the usefulness of star ratings at all. 

I recently got a 4.15 from a client who wrote wonderful things about me, publicly and privately. I made it through the experience without either the need to dissect the "problem" and look for a "solution" in the forums or paying for therapy. It's a 4, not a 1. It's entirely reasonable for a client to be happy and reasonably rate the freelancer less than perfect. It's entirely UNreasonable for a freelancer to be running around, as so many do, telling us what their rating or their JSS "should" be. That's for clients to decide--and most seem to be artificially inflating as it is.

That, I completely agree with. But I think the very fact that you got a 4.15 rating may have softened your verdict.

Other people keep telling freelancers that 4.8 and 4.6 are BAD ratings.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
13 of 19

@Ela K wrote:

I'm sorry but they are.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 19

@Ela K wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Ela K wrote:

That, I completely agree with. But I think the very fact that you got a 4.15 rating may have softened your verdict.

Well, they're ratings that have a negative impact on JSS and perhaps on the perceptions of some clients. But, the REASON they're perceived as bad ratings is the ridiculous social norm that everyone who has managed to get through to the end of the job is entitled to 5 stars. 

20 years ago, I taught and trained teachers for an international private educational corporation. ONCE one of the teachers in the Chicago center (where there were 50+ teachers) got perfect 5-star ratings from every student in his class, and the printout went up on the wall. Teachers whose class ratings were consistently in the 4.75 range were considered rock stars (which made a lot more sense than 5 stars meaning "passable"), and it was easy to bad teachers from good ones and good teachers from great ones and great ones from the handful of really, really outstanding ones.

With the new social norm of 5 stars being a pass/fail sort of rating, where everyone with a C and up is entitled to 5 stars, the rating system is irreparably broken. Most feedback is entirely meaningless and false, and most honest positive feedback is interpreted as negative.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ines H Member Since: Feb 15, 2017
15 of 19

I don't know if it matters, but I think Elance had a fair star-rating system, or at least, the way it was presented was fair. Each star was accompanied with a short explanation - I don't remember exactly how it went, but it was something like this (I'm paraphrashing):

Quality:

1 - Low quality work, below expectations.

3 - Good quality, meets expectations.

5 - Outstanding quality, exceeds expectations.

Responsiveness:

1 - Frequent periods of no communication, significant delays.

3 - Freelancer responded within 1 business day.

5 - Freelancer responded within minutes, every time.

And similar explanation was next to each rating for each category. Basically, a 5-star rating (should have) meant that the freelancer went above and beyond what was requested, was an expert in the field they were hired for, and delivered extraordinary results.

3-4 stars meant the freelancer did what was requested and delivered work on time, on budget, within expectations.

Unfortunately, no one cares or thinks about such explanations when you're paying for something, we'll always look for 5-star ratings and wonder what "went wrong" with a 4.3 or 4.6 or especially 4.9. Anything below 4.0 is "worrying".

So in OP's case, 3.8 with such comments... yeah I'd be a little hurt, too.

It's easy for people who never had a rating below 4 to "pass judgement" about fair ratings, but I bet that if they'd ever get such a rating, they'd make a mental note never to work with that client again.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jutta B Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
16 of 19

If ops statement is correct there is a direct breakdown between the comments and the rating. he expected to be rated 5 stars based on the comments and feels let down that his expectation ( not unrealisticafter the praising comments ) haven't been met.

OP, agree with other posters - move on. lesson learned. Happened to me too with a 4.8 rating - it is what it is.

Sometimes it's also a case of clients just not entirely happy with some fine details.

and Preston?

Clients need to be as knowledgable of the upwork system as freelancers. 

I've had a client once who i had to explain the inside and outs of the upwork system too and i am not going to spend my own time to do that.Thats not my job.

" The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be "
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 19

re: "Clients need to be as knowledgable of the upwork system as freelancers. I've had a client once who i had to explain the inside and outs of the upwork system too and i am not going to spend my own time to do that.Thats not my job."

Well, I bill them for the time I spend doing that.

So the more questions a client asks me about Upwork, the more money I make.

But in practice, this happens rarely.

Most clients who I work with are already knowledgeable about Upwork.

I think less experienced clients probably start out trying to hire freelancers with lower rates.

By the time most clients hires me, I think they have already had some hiring experience on Upwork. A lot of the clients I work with trying to save money by looking for high-cost freelancers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
18 of 19

Filip M wrote:

Hello Upwork Community,

I am in a position where i do not know what can I do. 

The thing is, i was working some small task for 30 days. It was very easy job and of course i did it well. The problem is the rating client give me. He gave me 3.8 and that puts my sucess score at 86% only because I am new to Upwork and i have finished only 5 jobs.

Then I checked the client and find out that was his first job at Upwork. He hired 7 more freelancers on that job and he give bad ratings to all of us. I am sure that all did perfect job, because it was easy, my little brother is able to do that.

So the problem is in the client. He did not know what he was doing. The best part is that he was satisfied with my work. He even wrote "Thank you so much for working with me! It was my pleasure having you. Praying for your success on upwork!".

Upwork support answered me to solve this with client, whitch is not posible because he never respond to any of my messages during the work or after. 

Also they said to me this: "If your score is in the 80's, you've done solid work but Client's feedback indicates you also have some improvement. You can read more about boosting your score here (missing link)"

But the truth is, i did all my jobs perfect-not solid as they say, and my Success rate is in the 80' because client's laziness, incompetency and lack of respect.

So my question is, Was someone in a similar situation like me, and is there anything to be done.

Sorry if there were any grammar/spelling mistakes, English is not my first language. Thank you !

Filip

If the freelancer were permitted to decide what star rating their work merited, there would be no star ratings. How many freelancers think their work isn't perfect? You accept the client's money, that gives them the right to leave their feedback based on their opinion, not yours. That is the deal. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 19

post from 2017....

14982d1245688120-goalkeeper-vs-phalanx-necropost-kitten

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS