🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Bad Client Status
Page options
claire-bacon
Community Member

Bad Client Status

My client has had 6 closed contracts. He's managed to get 5 bad reviews and 1 dispute already. He has written bad feedback while we are waiting for Upwork to find in my favor - as they say they will - but in the meantime he's closed the contract and left bad feedback. 

How many closed contracts and what are the criteria for this chap (sadly devoid of a moral compass) to be classified as a a bad client officially so that myself and others don't have to suffer his backlash and unfair comments? 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

17 REPLIES 17
petra_r
Community Member

Claire B wrote:

My client has had 6 closed contracts. He's managed to get 5 bad reviews and 1 dispute already. He has written bad feedback while we are waiting for Upwork to find in my favor - as they say they will -

In a dispute? Upwork does not find "in favour" of anyone in any way for fixed rate contracts. Only arbitration can do that.

sorry - too late.

petra_r
Community Member

Claire wrote:

I asked you politely not to write on this thread

I had already responded by the time you had added a post that you don't want me to answer.

I only see one antagonistic voice in this thread.

It's not mine.

Claire wrote:

Well actually, here are the correct details Petra - that you feel is best to get out there - Upwork looks at my client's request approval. Looks at my reasons for not allowing the refund. And will put forward a non-binding legal suggestion that my not authorising the refund is justifed. And in cases of small value, since arbitration is not an option, it virtually is legally binding. 

Nope. If the client disagrees and you opt not to go to arbitration the client gets their money back

Hi all,

I would like to remind everyone to be mindful of the Community Guidelines and avoid making personal attacks.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Claire, I suggest you read the definition of "Forum"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum

As to your problem with the client -

With the client's track record as you described, WHY did you knowingly agree to work with the person?

Then again, perhaps had you read some of Petra's advice in multiple threads, you would have known better.

I had already responded by the time you had added a post that you don't want me to answer.

I only see one antagonistic voice in this thread.

It's not mine.

Oh, I think I see what's happened here. Upwork has perhaps told you that you will get paid, and you have misinterpreted that to mean that they're ruling in your favor, something they definitely do not do. "Virtually legally binding" is not a thing. The only way the client can be compelled to pay is through arbitration. If you don't pay for arbitration, the client gets the money back. Period.

However, in "cases of small value" like yours apparently is, Upwork often pays off the freelancer out of its own pocket to avoid wasting time and money on your small problem. They refund the client as required by the terms of escrow, and then they pay you the small amount of money you're owed to make the situation go away.

No. This is not customer service. It is a community forum, where users ask questions, exchange information, and express opinions. The moderators here occasionally fill the unusual role of facilitating customer service matters.

Whether you "asked," "politely requested," "wishe[d]," or "told" Petra not to respond to you, it's not an appropriate request for a forum. You are free to ignore attitudes, opinons, and even facts—Petra's typical and invaluable stock in trade—as you wish. It is the moderators' job to maintain civility and focus—and neither yours nor mine. You are free to report any post you wish, including this one, to the moderators if you deem it inappropriate.

florydev
Community Member

This is rude. Why did you write this?
If you don’t want to read what Petra writes just ignore it.

I should be able to politely request someone does not reply. It's not rude. 

Why do you think it's rude to make a polite request? I find it insulting you have said my polite request is rude. 

Petra has always disagreed and inflamed arguments, in the past- just like has happened here, so I have made a polite request which has been classified as rude. 

I should not have to ignore her comments, as you suggest. That's not fair to be asking people to ignore a contributors comments and be unable to politely request they not be written. 

You specifically pointed out Petra and stated your personal opinion of her as fact and if you don’t believe me then you should at least see you were given a monitor warning (you probably think that is Petra’s).
Furthermore, I believe, this is an open forum and you have no right to dictate the responses you get.
My explanation that it was rude insulted you and for that I am sorry but that is as much responsibility as I take.
lysis10
Community Member

lol

ok, but she's right you see.

tlsanders
Community Member

Many Thanks

Read: Please, no facts or reality.

No, I would ask Petra
martina_plaschka
Community Member

You have  no authority to dictate who answers you or not, but you might rethink your participation in a global platform if you can't handle diverse people. That being said, who in his right mind works with a client that has 5 bad reviews, assumes his experience will be vastly different, which it very unsurprisingly isn't, and comes whining to the forum? Well..... (have I made your no-write list yet? It would really make my day...)

Martina P wrote:

That being said, who in his right mind works with a client that has 5 bad reviews, assumes his experience will be vastly different, which it very unsurprisingly isn't, and comes whining to the forum?

In fairness, Claire may well not have been able to know that the client was going to be a nightmare because when she took the job the other contracts had not ended yet so there weren't 5 other feedbacks to learn from.

Thanks all for the comments. Thing is: I would not have commented on the original post in the first place if the "Petra not to respond" nonsense had been there at the time.

It was added AFTER I responded, and all the rabid ranting that followed was just unfortunate.

I just want to leave an "lol" here.

I'm surprised forum mods are this active on a Saturday morning. Usually they're not. 

Reddit brought me here! 

Alexander B wrote:

I just want to leave an "lol" here.

I'm surprised forum mods are this active on a Saturday morning. Usually they're not. 

Reddit brought me here! 

It seems Claire reported a bunch of us, which got the mods to come over and look at the thread and...remove a bunch of things she said.

JoanneP

Hi Everyone,

A few posts on this thread have been edited and removed. Please be mindful of our Community Guidelines and refrain from making personal attacks in the forums. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths