🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Bad Client asking full-refund for almost 2 Mo...
Page options
lloyd-salcedo
Community Member

Bad Client asking full-refund for almost 2 Months Work

Hello Ladies & Gents,

I hope everyone is having a great day.

I just need your insights on a situation I found myself lately.

I have this client who hired me for part-time bases (working hours 6:30am PST to 10:30pm PST). The average working session would last 1 - 3 hours (not daily).

Everything was doing well until the client started requesting/demanding to make myself available from 8am - 12pm PST(every weekdays) but failed to consistenly turn up and offer work. 

Of course this is normal, things like this happen. The problem was, the client wanted me to be available even if he's not sure there would be work. Basically he wanted me to wait and not do anyt work until he confirms. So I'd wait for 1-3 hours (unpaid), then I'll get message afterwards saying "sorry, I didn't needed you for todays session."

This went on for a couple of days to weeks, and unti I finally decided to tell him that I wanted to move on and look for better opportunities.

That decision made him upset, now he's asking for a full-refund - 1 to 2 months worth of work! 😞

Please, can anybody point out any violation I or my client did in this situation?

Any insight will be much appreciated. 

Thank you so much

2 REPLIES 2
a_lipsey
Community Member

Was it hourly or fixed price? If hourly, did you use the time tracker and leave meaningful memos?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lloyd, 

I checked your account, and the client you are referring to, and it looks like you have already been assisted by a Customer Support Agent regarding this concern. 

I would re-confirm what the Agent has shared with you as the same still applies. At the end of the day, you are the owner and manager of your own freelancing business. You will ultimately decide if you will refund the client or not. If you're worried about getting bad feedback from your client, you can use the Top Rated Feedback Removal Perk to remove this feedback from your Job Success Score calculation, and/or your Work History. 

If your client wishes to dispute any of the hours you have logged recently, you will be assisted further through a ticket by the Mediation Team. 

Hopefully, you and your client can resolve this issue amicably. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members