🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Bad Client knows how to Chrageback to Upwork
Page options
kdsingh
Community Member

Bad Client knows how to Chrageback to Upwork

Hi friends,

This is warning and alert for all of the developers that Any client after work incase they have shared any of PM app or Google Docs to maintain the work can play with your hard work. 

Scenario happened couple of months back with me with a guy name **Edited for Community Guidelines**( a Salesforce Developer) hired me for certain jobs and shared Slack and Google Docs to manage the documentation of work being Done, Tested, Approved.

While doing the work calling himself a developer actually fooled his company that he need extra hands to work but fact was he was not really a developer and was afraid of loosing his job and hired us. It's ok he had to save his job, but problem arisen when he started testing his skills by doing the changes in codesm Breaking the codes which he tasted along with us and asked to moved to next ticket and coming back after 2 days that code is not working. We fixed couple of done things again and figured out he is changing the codeto see the result for his learning purpose and coming back with issue that has arisen. 

We fixed many things many times and finally at the next milestone payment he again come up with old issues which been fixed, recorded demo been given, Chat been shared but he refused to release the next milestone payment which was already due past few weeks. 

We pulled ourselves that he is psycho level client because he started threatning with Social Media bad reviews, Abusive language on What's app, Skype. He taken the control of Google docs which he shared with us and changed the done tickets to not done to show his manager that we didn't work. 

After pulling ourselves he put dispute to Upwork that he has paid for the work we didn't do, we got back to Upwork with all the evidences but no one heard us and paid our earning back to him. 

On top of it, there was intial 40% deposit was asked to initiate the work which was 2K, 40% or total value on next milestone 2K he started dramas and refused to pay, even after showing him that this task was done and approved by you on so and so date and why are you doing this with us? He always used abusive language, I can understand because his Job was on stack and pulled off on him he was very angry. 

Now, he called his bank for Chargeback from Upwork and we also got mesg from Upwork that if his bank will order to make payment back to his account Upwork has to do it and they will charge from us. 

Yes Upwork asked for any Evidence and all the Videoes, Chats, and all proven evidences been provided to Upwork but we still have to pay back. 

Does anyone came across such situation that even you are honest and you had best JSS and after this incident your JSS score has been moved to 50% ?????

Kamal
5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

wrote:

After pulling ourselves he put dispute to Upwork that he has paid for the work we didn't do, we got back to Upwork with all the evidences but no one heard us and paid our earning back to him. 

Was it an hourly job? Upwork do not usually make decisions over fixed price contracts, or did you go to arbitration and lost?

I see now... You created two contracts, one fixed one and then an hourly..... When you said "we" - did several people work on that hourly contract? Did you use manual time? Why would you combine an hourly contract with a fixed rate "deposit to start work?"

On top of it, there was intial 40% deposit was asked to initiate the work which was 2K,

That is also most unusual. I don't think many clients would pay that now there is escrow to keep both parties relatively safe.... - let alone with an hourly contract? 

kdsingh
Community Member

Client had it fixed price job, that was way less than work he explained and smartly he mentioned what he will take care of but those things also assigned to us in Google Doc. He asked for terms and Conditions we said that we work 40-40-20 and he accepted it. so 2K was 40% of the work to initiate and bring that to 80% to ask for next payment. Since UW doesn't have best PM app in place most of Freelancers followes 3rd party apps which client is comfortable with. We did the same because we never had fake client ever. 

We also have his more recordings where he was planning with us that his company CEO is Dick Van Dyke and doesn't know anything and much more of it. He was asking to prepare Answers for questions companies asks now a days and he said if he get job he will pass all the work to us. 

I mean he was not less than a Psycho we have ever worked with that at onen position he is pittying on current company and on second hand he is asking for help for another company interview. 

But I understood his mental level when he started abusive language on whatsapp with funny smlly icons that Social media 😊😊😊 and I was like F*** he is psycho. It was terrible experience with such client. Every Freelancer care about their reputation and we are not only on Upwork we are global partner of a highly recognised company, our only mistake we taken him as ususal professional client with ethics but after working on Odesk, Elance and now Upwork he has proved us wrong and Upwork lifted Psycho personality better. 

Kamal
kdsingh
Community Member

One of most amazing thing I discoverd about Upwork poor policy is drowning your 10 Years support to Upwork that if you face such case keep working and don't raise your voice else your rating JSS will be brought on level that no one will hire you. I think Upwork has forgtten this is not world's only and best choice to come over to Upwork and get the things done, there are many rising platforms and people will start moving if Upwork for their own benefits ony give benefits to clients. Sun rise and sun goes down too. 

Kamal
petra_r
Community Member

You're missing the point.

Upwork offers protection for hourly contracts if you use the tracker. Every time you add manual time you are reminded that manual time is not protected.

The chargeback is not Upwork taking away your money, it's the client's bank taking away the money.

And what is all that "we" you talk about? You have a freelancer profile... There is no "we" allowed.

kdsingh
Community Member

I am so sorry for late replying, by the way it was fixed price and had chat on UPwork itself that instead of amount X work would cost Y and he accepted. Then created Milestones and he accepted them. First 40% payment is for Iniating the work and that is where that Psycho hit the charge back when we asked for next milestone payment. We submitted video calls between me and client and hell of proofs that he is lying but still upwork is asking to pay back. People are looking at this case and will take precautions using UPwork. 

Kamal
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members