🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Bad Feedback - Advice!
Page options
prachi163
Community Member

Bad Feedback - Advice!

Ever since I started working on Upwork, I have only encountered great clients.

Finally, yesterday night, I accepted a job, and long story short, client wasn't happy with what I gave him. But instead of telling me what part of the work he is not happy with and work on a solution, he just started being very rude to me.

I offered to and made a couple of revisions (even though I had little to work with since he wouldn't clearly tell me why he thinks what I have submitted isn't good enough). I also offered to speak to him to understand his point of view. But his messages kept getting more and more accusatory and rude.

Finally, he left me 3 stars and closed the contract. He has paid the milestone but the contract hasn't appeared on my profile yet.

Now, for the advice.

1. Can I wait till the next JSS update to see what damage the feedback has done, and then take a call whether to remove it from the calculation?

2. Is it possible to issue a part refund? (Also will it help my JSS, too, since then this will become a low-value contract?

He has just left the stars, and no text feedback as far as I know. And I wonder if this one-off low star feedback would really look that bad on the profile.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Prachi T wrote:

Now, for the advice.

1. Can I wait till the next JSS update to see what damage the feedback has done, and then take a call whether to remove it from the calculation?

2. Is it possible to issue a part refund? (Also will it help my JSS, too, since then this will become a low-value contract?

He has just left the stars, and no text feedback as far as I know. And I wonder if this one-off low star feedback would really look that bad on the profile.

1. Yes, you can use the perk at any time while you are top rated, and you can use the perk for 14 days if a contract knocks you out of the top rated program.

2. I would not do that. The difference it would make would be minimal. Wait until Sunday and see what happens, then decide. What is your JSS now?

3. A one off contract with lower stars is nothing to worry about. Get some more closed so it drops down the page more quickly.

The JSS is 100 right now.

Also, would it be a good idea to block him? His rude behavior really bothered me...

Prachi T wrote:

The JSS is 100 right now.

Also, would it be a good idea to block him? His rude behavior really bothered me...

If he was abusive, you should report him to Upwork. Then block him.

I hope that you decide not to give him any kind of a refund; jerks don't deserve to get their money back, because it only encourages them to keep being jerks. Did you leave him feedback as well?

If this client has a history of being unreasonable and giving bad feedback to every freelancer, then his score might be excluded from your JSS calculation. In any case, I would wait and see what the damage is before you do anything.

If he was abusive, you should report him to Upwork. Then block him.

I did.

I hope that you decide not to give him any kind of a refund; jerks don't deserve to get their money back, because it only encourages them to keep being jerks. Did you leave him feedback as well?

I was already tired trying to second guess what he wanted and my other work was suffering. He was also clearly unhappy and not ready to calm down and have a conversation to resolve the problems. I tried too many times to keep calm and ignore the insulting way he spoke. (I even put it down to cultural differences and also the fact that his English was broken). 

He said he didn't want to pay the full escrowed amount.

I just told him he can release part payment and I'll issue the refund for remaining funds.

I guess he expected me to beg him to change his mind. Because the next instant, he released the full escrow with a disrespectful "keep it".

He has a decent history, though not very high spending. Guess it was just a bad day.

tlbp
Community Member

Keep the money. Don't worry about the stars. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members